Question

Highlighted
Grad Student
Message 1 of 25 (20,780 Views)

HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR - Technical data and performance comparison with others.

Teacher
Message 2 of 25 (20,670 Views)

Re: HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR - Technical data and performance comparison with others.

Miguel,

I think it's important to precise that all of this is absolutely not official.

Perhaps these specs are true. Perhaps not ... At this stage, it's only rumors. The only official annoncement is the video and noting on specs inside.

Grad Student
Message 3 of 25 (20,529 Views)

Re: HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR - Technical data and performance comparison with others.

Hi!, all:

The first program, of Fractals, for HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR, from ... http://www.calc-bank.com/

BEGIN
LOCAL iter := 0;
LOCAL z := (0,0);
WHILE (ABS(z) <= bailoutValue) AND (iter < maxIter) DO
z := z*z+c;
iter := iter+1;
END;
RETURN iter;
END;

LSclr(Ndx)
BEGIN
Ndx := ROUND(Ndx*186,0);
IF Ndx < 31 THEN RETURN 0+ 1*Ndx; END;
IF Ndx < 62 THEN RETURN 31+ 32*(Ndx-31); END;
IF Ndx < 93 THEN RETURN 1023- 1*(Ndx-62); END;
IF Ndx < 124 THEN RETURN 992+ 1024*(Ndx-93); END;
IF Ndx < 155 THEN RETURN 32736- 32*(Ndx-124); END;
IF Ndx < 186 THEN RETURN 31744+ 1*(Ndx-155); END;
RETURN 31775;
END;

colorize(itVal, maxIt)
BEGIN
IF itVal==maxIt THEN
// We are inside the Mandelbrot map
// Then the pixel is drawn in blackRETURN 0;
ELSE
RETURN LSclr(itVal/maxIt);
END;
END;

EXPORT Mandelbrot()
BEGIN
// Clean the screen (G0):RECT();

LOCAL dx, dy, c, xp, yp;
LOCAL iter, color;

// These 4 variables defined
// Our window of the complex plane

LOCAL xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax;
LOCAL maxIterations := 50;
LOCAL maxRadius := 2;

// Location
// Radio width to height should be 4:3

xmin := -2.5;
xmax := 1.5;
ymin := -1.5;
ymax := 1.5;

// Other parameters better:

//xmin := 0.315625;
//xmax := 0.515625;
//ymin := 0.28125;
//ymax := 0.43125;

dx := (xmax-xmin)/320;
dy := (ymax-ymin)/240;
c := (xmin,ymin);

// we loop over each pixel
// Of the screen wil Prime:
FOR yp FROM 0 TO 239 DO
FOR xp FROM 0 TO 319 DO
// Create the complex number c
// We need for iteration:

c := (xmin+xp*dx, ymax-yp*dy);

// Now iterate the formula and
// Return the number of iteration steps
// That was taken up
// That the complex number jump out
// The radius of convergence:

iter := iteration(c, maxRadius, maxIterations);

// Determines a color for the iteration number:color := colorize(iter, maxIterations);

// Change color to that pixel:

PIXON_P(xp, yp, color);
END;
END;

// deja la imagen en la pantalla
// hasta que se presiona una tecla:
REPEAT UNTIL GETKEY() == -1;
FREEZE;
END;

Fractals HP PRIME.JPG

Tutor
Message 4 of 25 (20,391 Views)

The lack of comments here surprise me.

Anyway, I kinda hope this is just another (but more high-end) student calculator?

Of course the main market will always be in education, I understand that, I just hope that this 'HP Prime' is not intended as a complete replacement for HP50G?

As a calculator, as in a math companion in professional and private life, HP Prime disappoints in a couple of manners:

Touch screen instead of soft menu keys.

Custom hi-energy battery + charger.

I understand that the backlit color display is a sales argument in some circles. But to me, it's far more important to have low battery consumption and not to have the hassle with a charger, or have to worry about the condition and health of a very-hard/impossible-to-get, rechargeable battery. That we're supposed to be used to this from smartphones, is not a good point. 1: I hate my phone. 2: I can replace my phone at seconds notice, because it's a mainstream commodity. Calculator is not.

My life with HP28S, HP48G, HP49/50 has been extremely heavy on the soft menu keys. This is how I mainly operate the calculator - from my tree of my own custom menus, which link to my own custom functions, but of course, the calculators many own functions, buried deep in the menus, as well.

Will you now tell me a touchscreen will be a reliable and convenient substitute?

I'm sort of fine with the HP50G.

The system and CAS need an overhaul to become modern and take advantage of more capable addressing. But what I mainly ask for, in a replacement, is: Faster - Better display (monochrome&passive is still superior to high battery consumption) - A better ENTER-key - And maintenance, (which the HP50 has lacked for a long time, apparently because HP-calculators have given priority to new foundations).

Grad Student
Message 5 of 25 (20,378 Views)

Hi!, Vermagster:

How about if we wait until the month of September, which is, the final release?.

What of the lithium ion battery, is a good option and also touchscreen. Look, I have two Smartphone HP iPAQ 910c with expand 5VDC and 3840 mAh battery, touch screen (never failed me and it's been over two years than I have), 400Mhz processor and it is, wonderful. The brightness, the HP Color PRIME can be mitigated, as in my Smartphones, to avoid excessive consumption. If you have no charger and batteries be removed, it is also an advantage and also besides making it, from a 110/220VAC, you could load it from the 12VDC power supply of your car.

Tutor
Message 6 of 25 (20,354 Views)

Hi, Miguel.

Thank you for your response. Yes, we must wait until September. But I'm sure it will be well received. I think those features which I don't like - charger and absence of soft keys - will not bother the market which the calculator is aimed for. It is likely that they will appreciate the backlit color display and touch screen more. And I have no problem with that.

Regardless, for the best chances of seeing a suitable calculator becoming marketed one day, it's probably important that the HP39GII and HP Prime do well.

Teacher
Message 7 of 25 (20,237 Views)

Vermagster wrote:

The lack of comments here surprise me.

Anyway, I kinda hope this is just another (but more high-end) student calculator?

Of course the main market will always be in education, I understand that, I just hope that this 'HP Prime' is not intended as a complete replacement for HP50G?

As a calculator, as in a math companion in professional and private life, HP Prime disappoints in a couple of manners:

Touch screen instead of soft menu keys.

Custom hi-energy battery + charger.

I think the touch screen could be nice ( and you have 'really' soft menu :

http://www.ti-bank.fr/images/Prime.png

The battery is necessery with a color screen.

But it s difficult to have a definitive  opinion without testing...

Grad Student
Message 8 of 25 (20,193 Views)

Hi!:

IMHO, I think if HP, has decided to include, a lithium polymer battery rechargeable, is because it is the best option today and has tested conveniently. I know with, my two Smartphone HP iPAQ 910c, with expansion batteries of 3.7VDC and 3180mAh. Logically that HP PRIME, will have a timekeeper, to turn off automatically as does, the rest, of the above calculators.

Honor Student
Message 9 of 25 (18,601 Views)

Thanks for posting this. Where can I learn more about this language? Is it compiled for the 400 MHz ARM chip? What other graphics commands are available? Is double buffered animation possible? Can I place an input button anywhere on the touchscreen?

Grad Student
Message 10 of 25 (18,594 Views)

Hi!, twixtfanatic:

Welcome, to site!.

The Advanced HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR, isn't available today. The Programation languages are RPN, algebraic and other what IMHO, is similar to Pascal Language, but, i'm not sure. Wait a few days, for more information.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation