Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Prime

When I am in CAS mode and type in factor(x^2-25) it returns -24. I want it to return (x+5)(x-5). I do not understand why it is not returning (x+5)(x-5). 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you are not typing a lower case "x", please use the lower case "x" and not upper case. Most likely you have an upper case X (which will contain a value of 0 - thus you get 0^2-25 which is -24...)

If you are typing lower case, type the command "purge(x)" to delete the number you have stored in x. If you have a value stored in there, the number is being put into your equation first and thus you have no more x values left to factor because they've been replaced.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Delete the CAS variables to make it start working again.

HP Recommended

Try to check "exact mode" in CAS settings (if it is unchecked of course)

HP Recommended

Hi!, TylerTexas:

Welcome, to Forum!.

This is only for use with CAS.

In Setting CAS, change Exact by Approximate.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
HP Recommended

If you are not typing a lower case "x", please use the lower case "x" and not upper case. Most likely you have an upper case X (which will contain a value of 0 - thus you get 0^2-25 which is -24...)

If you are typing lower case, type the command "purge(x)" to delete the number you have stored in x. If you have a value stored in there, the number is being put into your equation first and thus you have no more x values left to factor because they've been replaced.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
HP Recommended

Also, when I push the "x t theta n" button,  I sometimes get something besides lower case x, which might be what caused the problem with not factoring. How do I change what the "x t theta n" displays when pressed? 

HP Recommended

The X T Theta N key returns the current "independent" variable for you active application. Normally, this will be X (or x in the CAS). However, when you have the polar app, it will be the theta. Sequence will be N, and parametric will be T. These are the variables that are used in those application for the currently changing variable during plot and whatnot.

If you want to use one of those specific values, change your current application by pressing apps, tapping the one you want, and then go back to home, cas, symb, etc. In most cases, just pressing <alpha> <letter> will be quick enough for you I think though.

TW

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.