Question

Highlighted
Grad Student
Message 1 of 24 (18,544 Views)

HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR-Data Sheet.

Hi!, all:

In the next site, the data sheet ... http://www.cemetech.net/projects/techreports/hpprime_datasheet.pdf

Intern
Message 2 of 24 (18,479 Views)

Re: HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR-Data Sheet.

Is this calculator the successor to the 50g?
Grad Student
Message 3 of 24 (18,466 Views)

Hi!, Marcio:

The HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR is an Advanced microcomputer, of Gen5 (5th generation). See, my previous post, from ... /t5/Calculators/Because-HP-PRIME-GRAPHING-CALCULATOR-Name/td-p/6068985 and ... /t5/Calculators/Introduction-to-HP-Prime-Advanced-Graphing-Calculator-Version-1/td-p/6069131

IMHO, this isn't the successor of HP49G+/HP50G, microcomputers. For me, it's more like the HP39GII, for his performance, though it sounds to, much higher.

Advanced HP PRIME.JPG

Master's Graduate
Message 4 of 24 (18,445 Views)

MarcioB wrote:

Define "successor".

It unquestionably will have a more powerful CAS, will be much faster, has more memory and storag space. However, it is not a direct continuation of the 28S series...

----------------------
TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Intern
Message 5 of 24 (18,435 Views)

Tim Wessman wrote:

MarcioB wrote:

Define "successor".

successor would be the, let's say, 51g?

It unquestionably will have a more powerful CAS, will be much faster, has more memory and storag space. However, it is not a direct continuation of the 28S series...

In terms of functionality, what are the differences between this calculator and the 50g? What public was it designed for?

Master's Graduate
Message 6 of 24 (18,407 Views)

>51g

Nope. I thought that was quite clear when I said it was not a continutation of the 28s. :-)

>In terms of functionality, what are the differences between this calculator and the 50g?

I couldn't even begin to list them out. The primary one is that it is consistent, actually has a system design, and is based around the concept of apps that have a symbolic, plot and numeric representation within them. In that way, it is just like the 38/39/40g.

The statistics are better, the graphing is better, the CAS is better, the binary integers are better, the 2d input is better, the built in help is better...

>What public was it designed for?

If you haven't read GT Springer's interview, I'd recommend taking a look at that if you haven't. Other then a few small things here and there (like RPN as an app on the 39gII), there is quite a lot of good information there.

----------------------
TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Grad Student
Message 7 of 24 (18,388 Views)

Hi!, all:

From the next site, other important specification ... /t5/Calculators/Introduction-to-HP-Prime-Advanced-Graphing-Calculator-Version-1/td-p/6069131#.UaT6nk...

Tutor
Message 8 of 24 (18,221 Views)

I don't want to piss on anyone’s parade here. My comments aren't important anyway. I'm just an old grumbling man with only a handful of years left to retirement. And surely I'll make do with the old HP28->50G a couple more years. I understand the Prime is a student calculator. An education machine. It's not the sort of machine I would have wanted to give students. But I'm sure those who decide these things, teachers and college boards, would consider me incompetent to have any views on that matter.

But I'm still interested in HP calculators, because I started to use them, with a borrowed HP35 back in '74. And I do want to have a couple of matters cleared up:

Will there NOT be any “RPN app” for the HP 39GII? Or is it so limited as to be useless?

“RPN will be treated as a first class citizen” sounds very much to me as damage control speech. And it seems confirmed, when it's revealed there will be no kind of RPN programming at all in the HP Prime.

But what seems of slightly more interest, on that matter, is: Can the HP Prime 'programs' take their arguments from the stack? Can they return their results to the stack? Can 'programs' be called from evaluating their name, put on the stack as a string?

The programming language has one good point. It has a fairly high level interface to graphics.

As for the rest, it seems inflexible, limited and rigid. I can only suppose it's supposed to be easy to learn, and that it's because the dokument relates to HP 39GII. Personally, I have a very hard time to understand why it wasn't given a more Java-like language.

Student calculator? Again? Easier to learn?

After thinking about it, I realize I was wrong. A Pascal dialekt is far easier to get into and learn, And there really isn't much purpose for an OO language on a calculator, either.

Grad Student
Message 9 of 24 (18,215 Views)

Hi!, Vergmaster:

Do not worry, about understanding, for now. The next July month, there will be important news, with more specifications and topics, of interest, from the Advanced PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR. At the right time, HP, the give to know. Stay tuned, on this site.

Intern
Message 10 of 24 (18,205 Views)

It reminds me of the TI-Nspire™ CX Handhelds.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation