Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 22 (2,792 Views)

HP Prime: Can't import larger data from spreadsheets for statistical analysis

I just got an HP Prime, but all my work requires importing data from spreadsheets for statistical analysis. I deal with data columns of about 500 entries so entering them by hand is not an option.

Is there a way to import data into the statistical spreadsheet num used buy the 1D  and 2D statistical apps?

I looked at the Hp connectivity and emulator options but none of them allow it to import colums of data.

It will be great if one could copy Ctrol-C data from an excel spreadsheet and Ctrl-V them into the HP Prime spreadsheet but it seem that that feature has not been implemented.

I saw an hp xcell for other applications that seem to help but I don't see it supported by the HP Prime..

Anybody knows a way to import this type of spreadsheet data?

The HP Prime is a very nice calculator but the innability to import spreadsheet data to it, through a PC or any other means, really kills any serious user that wants to use any real data.

Without it, my HP Prime is just a toy that cannot be used effectively for my real work and could not recommend this calculator to my collegues because of its spreadsheet entry limitations.   Such a nice calculator and such a great limitation.. Please HP fix this issue, it is like having a race car with toy tires...  thanks...

I am all for hacking if there is a way to do this key enabling data transfer stage...

Highlighted
Teacher
Message 2 of 22 (2,757 Views)

Re: HP Prime: Can't import larger data from spreadsheets for statistical analysis

Hello,

Spreadsheet, like Stats columns are manageable as lists...

This means that you can do: D1:={1,2,3,4} or A1:A4:={1,2,3,4}

for you, what it means is that you can copy your data from excel (1 column at a time), paste it in a 'good' text editor, one with real find/replace function, and then replace the cariage return by commas. Add { and } at the begining and end and you have your column transformed into a list...

you can then copy/paste this list from the editor to the calculator.

If you feel so incline, you (or someone) could create a program to transform csv file into lists of lists to automate the process.

Cyrille

I am an HP Employee
Tutor
Message 3 of 22 (2,735 Views)

Re: HP Prime: Can't import larger data from spreadsheets for statistical analysis

Thanks Cyrille, that will allow me to import my data.

Is it possible to write an programmatic option in the spreadsheet program up that permits a user to import a .txt or .csv file so that it will ask the file location/name and load the file/data by transforming it to the right syntax and loading it into the spreadsheet program..?

The more I used my HP Prime the more I like it.  The logic used in the CAS and in the keys are just great and it really simplifies the usage in a very logical way.  

A Micro SD card option will be great, too.

Definitely a Data Management Mgr App will really help with managing the always tedious process of import/export of user data using key popular formats..

Yesterday, I couldn't help noticing that the spreadsheet program accepts the paste of a column from an Excel spreadsheet, but at the end, only the first cell is visible in the calculator. All the other numbers are not transferred. Though, I swear they all transfer one time.. I know, too, that If I paste a multi-column selection, the HP Connectivity application crashes and goes away..  The most optimal workflow to import data will be if the cut/past spreadsheet program gets to work to import data.

I have and had all kind of high-end calculators, but the HP Prime is getting to be my preferred one..

Thanks Cyrille again for your help...

Tutor
Message 4 of 22 (2,572 Views)

Thanks for the excellent tip! I had no idea that data could be loaded into the Stat app from the command line.

Cheers,

D

p.s. Now how about a hint on how to do something similar with numbers in the matrix function?

Teacher
Message 5 of 22 (2,561 Views)

Hello

M1(-1) will get you column 1, M1(1) will get you row 1 of a matrice... you can then store that in the spreadsheet like you did for the stats.

For the program to import from csv or txt, yes, it is possible, but at the moment, I am 140% overbooked... I will try to remember it and work on it later, but no garanties...

If someone wants to work on such a program, I can help them providing info on how to generate the binary file for the calculator..

Cyrille
I am an HP Employee
Tutor
Message 6 of 22 (2,543 Views)

Wahoo! That is just what is needed. If I can find a bit of time, I might contribute the formatting algorithim. I'm doing it 'by-hand' using Notepad on Win7 and that is easy, but an Excel macro would be better.

I'm using RPN (my experience goes back to the hp45 ca. 1971) and while different, this old dog can still learn a new trick. One thing I found was that using a canned function in RPN, the '()' part should reference the level of the stack, e.g. fX(1) operates on the stack(1); fX(2) takes arguments from stack(1) and stack(2), etc. (I'm guessing at the 'etc.'--hope that's true)

Thanks for the tips!

D

Tutor
Message 7 of 22 (2,523 Views)

Stumped (again . . .)

I have 'M4', a 16x4 matrix of data and need to subtract the mean of each column from each of the values in that column. (to get correlation and covariance later)

'M4-mean(M4)' doesn't work--invalid dimension--probably because mean result is a vector

built-in 'correlation' function doesn't do it either.

Do I need to create a 16x4 matrix with the 'means' in each row to subtract or is there a better way?

Master's Graduate
Message 8 of 22 (2,511 Views)

Use the .- .+ .* ./ operators to do element wise operations on vectors/matrices. Since the "mean( )" function is a CAS operation, it can return exact results. To make it always work, put in an approx( ) call.

M1(-1):=M1(-1) .- approx(mean(M1(-1));

There is probably another way to do it, but this is what comes to mind right now. I think it should work.

----------------------
TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Tutor
Message 9 of 22 (2,477 Views)

Thanks for the help--program is one step closer to completion--but I've hit another snag: 'CAS.diag' on a square matrix doesn't return the matrix with elements on the diagonal and 0's elsewhere, I get back a vector of the diagonal elements.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

D

Tutor
Message 10 of 22 (2,471 Views)

I found that my matrix skills are rusty: I can get the desired diagonal matrix by element-multiplying (.*) by identity matrix.

Thanks
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation