Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 32 (7,318 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Prime Firmware Update Failed (104)

I heard there was a new firmware update for the HP-Prime.  

I connected the calculator to the HP Connectivity Kit.   It found an  update for both the Connectivity Kit itself and for the calclator.   It was successful in updating the connectivity kit but I am unable to update the calculator firmware.

I am on Windows7 64-bit.

My current firmware revision is:  2013 8 13 (5106)

According to the new firware it's version_20131125.

I have tried rebooting the PC,  using a different cable and a different USB port.

The connectivity kit seems to have a solid connection to the calculator because I can view/change settings, etc.

After it fails the firmare update, I have to paper-clip reset the calculator.   

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry in advance if this has already reported and solved.  I did a search of the forum and didn't see anything related to this new version.

-TIA

Accepted Solution

Re: HP Prime Firmware Update Failed (104)

Hi!, gablinger:

1) Charge the battery, to 100%.

Please, see this link ... http://www.educalc.net/2336439.page

View solution in context
Associate Professor
Message 2 of 32 (7,281 Views)

Hi!, gablinger:

1) Charge the battery, to 100%.

Please, see this link ... http://www.educalc.net/2336439.page

I am, a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

Kind Regards.
Maké.
Tutor
Message 3 of 32 (7,253 Views)

Thanks ...

That didn't quite work the first time -- when I ran the usbtools it didn't see the calculator.    After a few attempts,  I ended up opening the HP Connectivity Kit and selected the firmware update option.  It failed as described in my original post.  However, at that point,  I ran the usbtool and it did connect and was able to update the firmware.

Not sure why the extra step is needed but I  was able to do the update so that's all I care about.

I don't know what the reviews are saying but I'm really liking the HP Prime.    I wish I was back in college so I could use it more.   At this point I am just going through some of my old engineering/math books playing around.

It's very easy and intuitive to use.    

The only complaint I have is the writing on the angled part of the buttons is a bit  hard to read.   Other than that,  I really like it.

Student
Message 4 of 32 (6,520 Views)

This seems to be a problem with Windows 7 64bit.  Both the HP Connectivity application and the 'upload.exe' utility from the link above never worked.

I changed to my trustworthy old Dell E6500 laptop running Win7/32bit and it worked first tome, *zero* problems!  (my desktop is a much newer machine running Win7/64bit).

Evidently the USB chipset and driver combinatino was incompatible with these firmware update utiliies

Don't get fooled:  the connectivity application could do everything else just fine, even the 'monitor' worked perfectly, but was never gouing to update the firmware.

Lesson: If you run into this, use an older 32bit Windows machine.

Associate Professor
Message 5 of 32 (6,498 Views)

Hi!, CaptFrito:

Welcome, to Forum!.

I'm have a All in One PC120 1026LA, with I3 Intel chipset (microprocessor), 8Gb. memory and O.S. Windows 7 Home Premium and install resident, the new update of my HP PRIME, with the new Connectivity kit and ROM, downloaded from ... ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/

Note: You must charge battery first, to 100%.

I am, a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

Kind Regards.
Maké.
Tutor
Message 6 of 32 (6,450 Views)

Just in case somebody had the same issue...

My HP Connectivity applicaton used to work when I first installed the  CD programs that came with my brand new HP Prime.

As soon as I installed and updated the installed apps to the latest version, my HP prime will not be visible in the HP Connectivity application and I could not install a new firmware on my HP Prime.

After finding how to reset my HP Prime, I reset it, and then the HP Prime was able to be visible by the HP Connectivity application and I was able to udpate my firmware. 

Honor Student
Message 7 of 32 (6,100 Views)

Hi,

I've got my Hp Prime from the beginning of july.

Software version 2013 11 25 (5447)

CAS version 1.1.0-27

Serial number 4CY34502R1

I've tryed to update the firmware, but none of the ways in this forum has been able to help me... :-(

I have a HP notebook, but it looks like it doesn't see his sister Prime...  :-)

I've got error 104 using the connectivity kit.

I've got an error like "...connect the device..." using usbtool.

I've got them both trying to do as gablinger suggests.

:-(

Windows 7, 64 bit

This weekend I wil try with my old notebook with Windows XP...

Honor Student
Message 8 of 32 (6,098 Views)

Hi,

in just a few minutes I'm back!

I've done it.... and the solutions is: change the usb port.... :-(

That "stupid" kind of solution...

It looks like usb 3.0 was not good, but usb 2.0 is ok, is it possible somehow?....

After 22 years of HP 48sx I'm happy with my HP Prime, but I hope that the equation library and the periodic table will be soon available. They are really good and usefull both at school and at work.

Have a nice monday! :-)

V.

Highlighted
Grad Student
Message 9 of 32 (6,057 Views)

Hi, Vincenzo!

Yes, changing to a different USB port usually solves the connection problem.  And yes, USB 3 ports are often reported to give Prime users more trouble than USB 2 ports. Nobody seems to know why this happens.

Although there is no "official" Periodic Table for the Prime from HP yet, an excellent one has been written by user Miguel Toro.  It is available here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1115.html Please note that the first link given on that web page is for the binary form of the program. If it gives you trouble, or if you are not sure how to install binaries, you can also get the source code for the program here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/attachment.php?aid=683 You can easily install that version by dragging and dropping it onto your Prime in the Connectivity Kit.

-Joe-
Top Student
Message 10 of 32 (5,807 Views)

Can anyone help with this?

I've also downloaded the latest firmware for my HP Prime and have tried all the suggested ways to reset the calculator. Since the update the calculator is flashing the following: hp logo then X^2+ Y^2=1 then blank screen.

As noted I've tried the suggested ways to reset but still flashing the above. I finally had to remove the battery and left with $149 worth of plastic.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation