Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Prime Graphing Calculator
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I've been a loyal HP customer since the mid 1980's (scientific calculators, computers & printers) and until now have been generally satisfied with their products. Being an owner of several vintage HP calculators I purchased my HP Prime in December 2013 after hearing good reviews.  My problem started after my first attempt at a firmware update in August 2014, which rendered the calculator useless (see my earlier posts). The fortunate thing at that time, was the calculator still had a few months remaining on the warranty. After several attempts with HP technical support to revive the calculator with soft and hard resets a decision was rendered (after a weeks of waiting) by HP to exchange the calculator.

In January 2016, I noticed that HP had published several firmware updates and realized that the replacement calculator that was sent to me had firmware dated 2013.  I was reluctant and concerned about attempting the firmware update after my first experience so I contacted HP technical support before I updated to make sure that I was aware of any issues and given instructions. I attempted the firmware update, which got to 21% and crashed, this time leaving the calculator completely lifeless with no warranty left. I called technical support back and attempted several reset methods. Again the calculator was left dead after a firmware update only this time the calculator is past its warranty expiration. I'm fairly savvy around computers and I know the issue is not with me since I see a number of other people that own earlier Prime calculators who had experienced similar issues. Unfortunately after repeat attempts to rest my calculator, I'm left with a $149.00 piece of plastic. The sad part is that HP is not taking ownership. My only recourse is to inform people of my experience. It's sad to see a company that once stood for quality, sell products before they were thoroughly tested.

HP, please understand that YOUR firmware updates should not KILL your calculator, not even a small percentage; take some ownership and not blame it on the customer’s computer.

P.S. If anyone knows how to revive this lifeless calculator, I would appreciate the suggestions. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi!, jpipedes:

I apologize, for your problem, but I will try, to guide you, to revive, your calculator, 5ta.generación.

1) Check the contacts of battery into HP PRIME and clean with cotton and pharmaceutical alcohol (99%). The battery of your calculator, is ... https://tiplanet.org/forum/gallery/image_page.php?image_id=2768 

2) Leave at least 24 hours without battery calculator, so that the internal capacitor, wich has discharge. 

3) Charge the battery, of your HP PRIME, at 100%.

4) Download and install in your PC, the ultimate Firmware, with connectivity kit, included, from ... ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/

Then ...

Connect, your HP Prime calculator, via the supplied, USB cable (directly connected, do not use, a USB hub).Start, the HP Connectivity Kit and press ON key.

Click, the Calculator tab. 

Right-click the name of the HP Prime you wish to update (it would be the one you connected before starting this procedure).

Make a note, of the version number and then click, the OK button. 

Click, on the Help Menu and select Check, for update. 

Check for update pop-up box, check version number that it is newer than the one you wish to update. 

Then click, download button. 

That's it, you'll see on the screen of your calculator the update being loaded and installed. Don't click too fast to get out of the HP Connectivity Kit, wait a minute, or so after, completion. 

Also, there is a step in the Connectivity Kit where, it is advised to back-up the version, you had before you run the procedure, just in case. That way you have a way to re-cover.

If have USB3 connection and problem, try use other with USB2. You can, see ... http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Prime-Graphing-Calculator/7298643/model/7298644/document/c046...

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
HP Recommended

Make',

Thank-you for providing at least some ray of hope. I just removed the battery and will let you know if I'm successful in the next day or two. Due to my past experience, I'm pessimistic but hopeful.  Thanks for your help. 

HP Recommended

Hi!, jpipedes:

If you have a tester, uses and measures the voltage of your HP PRIME battery, now that you've, removed. You can load it later, charging cable / USB communication in a PC, but it will take more than the switching charge. Another check is whether the charger, actually delivers, the service voltage ...

Input : 110/240VAC-50/60Hz.0.2A

Output : +5VDC pulsant 1.0A.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
HP Recommended

Make',

Unfortunately the suggestions to revive the calculator after a failed firmware update made no difference.  It's a shame, but I'm resolved to the fact that this calculator is headed for the trash.  At least some of my older HP calculators, some as old as 30+ years still work. 

HP Recommended

Hi!, jpipedes:

The HP PRIME, not run, without, the battery installed. IMHO, what your battery, is damaged.

Your battery, is ...

IMG_20160207_165947.jpg 

You can, try ... 

Stick a paperclip, in the little hole, call RESET, in the back side. The keys ON + SYMB thing, only works, if the unit, is on. 

Is possible that the battery, drained way low and that somehow, caused a problem. Is there power, in the battery now ?.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.