Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey guys,

I'm using the HP BIOS Configuration Utility (BCU v. 4.0.13.1) to change BIOS configuration.

So I set up a new BIOS password with the HPQPswd tool.

Everything worked fine. Password is activated.

After that I tried to do some changes relating to the boot order.

But everytime, wether with a config file nor with the command "/setvalue:"Filename.txt" /cspwdfile:"filename.bin"", the following error message appears:

<ERROR msg="Signature error in password file: Password.bin" />

<ERROR msg="BCU return value" real="10" translated="10" />

So can someone help me with that? 

Thanks for your response!

Greetings,

KKlein

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Klein,

According to the BCU user guide on the Manageability website http://hp.com/go/clientmanagement , the error return code = 10 that means "Valid password not provided".

I would suggest you to try the following:

1. Re create the password bin file 

2.  Provide the full path to the password bin file

example:

BIOSConfigUtility.exe /setconfig:"filename.txt" /cspwdfile:"c:\myshare\password.bin"

where:

password.bin is located in c:\myshare

Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi Klein,

Can you try this command line to see if it works:

BiosConfigUtility.exe /setconfig:"Filename.txt" /cspwdfile:"filename.bin"

Notes:

Filename.txt = repset file containing the settings and value.

Filename.bin = password bin file containing the encrypted password.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi vtby,

first, thanks for your answer!

I've also tried this, but I receive the same error message using this command line.

Any other idea?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi Klein,

According to the BCU user guide on the Manageability website http://hp.com/go/clientmanagement , the error return code = 10 that means "Valid password not provided".

I would suggest you to try the following:

1. Re create the password bin file 

2.  Provide the full path to the password bin file

example:

BIOSConfigUtility.exe /setconfig:"filename.txt" /cspwdfile:"c:\myshare\password.bin"

where:

password.bin is located in c:\myshare

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi vtby,

after I recreated the password bin file everything worked fine!

Thanks for your help :LaughingTears:

KKlein

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.