Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Ok, if you've read anything here, you know that I've fallen for Window 7. I've admitted that I never did fall for that thing which starts with "V" and ends in "A", but this new OS is just really awesome. Compared with everything that comes before, handes down better. Sorry, can't comment much on the MAC, as I've been on WinTel for years now. I have even stayed away from iPhone settling on the Android OS.

Recently a great aricle appeared on 10 Tips That Make Window 7 Simpler and was published by Errol Pierre-Louis over at PC-Mag.

My favorite of the ten, with some comments.

Tip #1
Handy Keyboard shortcuts
Windows 7 includes many new keyboard shortcuts that put frequently used actions at your fingertips. Learn these keystroke combinations and you'll soon be saving a few seconds of mousing time here and there throughout the day. It adds up. Note: For those who don't know, "Windows Logo" refers to the key with the Windows flag on it, generally located between the Ctrl and Alt keys, to the left of the space
 bar.

Tip #4
Clean Up Your Screen
Focusing on one window when you have multiple windows open can be distracting. But instead of having to minimize every window one-by-one you can quickly unclutter your screen using Aero Shake. Simply click and hold the title bar of the window you want to leave open, give it a quick shake, and your screen will be cleared of all windows except the one you're working in.

• Display or hide the Explorer preview pane: Alt-P
  • Display gadgets in front of other windows: Windows Logo-G
  • Zoom in: Windows Logo-+[plus sign]
  • Zoom out: Windows Logo- –[minus sign] 
  • Maximize window: Windows Logo-Up Arrow
  • Minimize window: Windows Logo-Down Arrow
  • Snap to the left-hand side of the screen: Windows Logo-Left Arrow
  • Snap to the right-hand side of the screen: Windows Logo-Right Arrow
  • Tip #6
    Search the Web from Your Desktop
    You can use Windows 7's built-in search as an online search tool without having to launch a Web browser, by using search connectors. For instance, if you wanted to search YouTube videos from 
    your desktop, just download and install the YouTube search connector. This adds a "YouTube Search" option to your Searches folder, which lets you browse YouTube from your desktop.
    Tip #7 is about how to make IE faster. Sorry, I've switched to Chrome and can't comment much on that one. I do have to rely on IE occasionally, but Chrome IMHO is where its at.
    I hope you enjoy my favs from this list. Please read the full list.
    Till next time....
    I worked for HP.
    7 REPLIES 7
    HP Recommended

while thanking u for the tips which were very useful I want to know if i can create batch files for often repeated activites and put them into action from my desktop  ----raj

HP Recommended

Great question. I'll do some research into doing batch-like functions.

Does anyone know how to do this? I'm assuming there is a script writer that could then be setup as a service?

I worked for HP.
    HP Recommended

The MSDOS functions have some ability to use batch (*.BAT) files, but I've never noticed whether that ever included being able to run programs intended to open as a window instead of using the old text-only interface.

HP Recommended
    HP Recommended
    HP Recommended

@ GarenT

How's the "research" coming?   <eg>

BTW instead of using  .bat  files aren't W7 users supposed to be using  PowerShell scripts?  <EG>

FWIW  what I do is use my wireless keyboard's macro capability.  Fewer syntax errors and typos then.   ; )

HP Recommended

I must say Windows 7 is what Vista should have been...

Batch files can be used for many things including to launch programs and copy/move files and folders.

e.g. to launch a program in a batch file it would be (for Windows 7)

START C:\Windows\system32\calc.exe

I think PowerShell scripts can do the same sort of tasks as well as more advanced functions

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.