Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi have a HP Designjet T790 which is stuck on 94% initializing and making a clicking noise. Before this happened the printer had an issue with wonky lines and colours incorrect. I've seen it may be a printhead isue. Is there anything ele that could cause this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I have seen the 94% issue and it can be many things. Best thing to do is remove all paper, remove printheads and ink cartridges. Now start the printer and see if it comes to where is asks for the ink item first and then for the paper.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

That is the % where the printer is testing the ink system, so one or more of your printheads is probably not jetting enough ink into the ink detector to pass the test and it just keeps clicking.  I have also seen this if one of the ink cartridges is extremely low on ink and can't fill the printhead.  Sometimes you can pull the ink cartridges and printheads, reboot the machine and install the inks one at a time until you hear the beep to make sure they were accepted, then move on to the printheads.  Hopefully at some point it will it will error or tell you which printhead is defective.

HP Recommended
I have seen the 94% issue and it can be many things. Best thing to do is remove all paper, remove printheads and ink cartridges. Now start the printer and see if it comes to where is asks for the ink item first and then for the paper.
HP Recommended

Hi.

Do as Tim and Davis is suggesting. If still issues go into diagnostic menu and do a HDD recovery.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help guys. When I return to site next week I will let you know what the problem was.

HP Recommended

It was the MK/Y printhead.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update Dean!

HP Recommended
In my case change all printhead
HP Recommended

Hi have a HP Designjet T790 which is stuck on 94% initializing and making a clicking nois 
i tried recovery for hdd but still facing the same problem 
please some help if you can sir.

all respect 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.