Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm not sure where all that information is stored in HPs but I would think it would be on the formatter card.  I've never had to replace a main PCA in that model before so I'm not sure if there are any steps you'd need to take regarding connectivity.  I definitely would run it through its connectivity tests once you are in front of the plotter.

HP Recommended
The main pca is part of the power supply and is provided with the power supply and should have nothing to do with the connectivity of the unit which is contained on the formatter. First thing I would do is see if I can print a config or other page from the menu on the plotter. That will tell me first if the plotter is working. If I can do that, then I would ping the address or attempt to bring up in my web browser to make sure there is connectivity between the computers and the plotter.
HP Recommended
Thanks David...I'm still away from the plotter momentarily; will check that when I get back. ....Well, again, I replaced the main pca on the T770, but again now can't print and getting 21.1:03 error (bad primer motor??? on ONLY a 2 year old service station--replaced 2 yrs ago--these both did not occur before main pca replacement.) time after time. Did I install a bad main pca? The 21.1:03 points to bad service station--ran the service station diagnostic as I recall when it got to the primer motor part of test it threw up the 21.1:03 error. I got around it by shutting down, pulling ink, and starting up and being prompted for ink, then came to "ready". Both "no printing" (sending jobs to the plotter with no result) and the 21.1:03 error seemed to occur contemporaneously with the main pca replacement but not necessarily related. At one point plotter came to "ready", customer commenced printing jobs in queue. Printed 1st job, but before 2nd job it threw up 21.1:03 again. Again, just seems the only thing that changed was new main pca so I was thinking I just got a bad one. But I guess it's just coincidental that the service station is bad. And guess that's why jobs aren't printing. However, at times it seems jobs would not print and there would be no 21.1:03 error displayed on the front panel. Was thinking probably incorrectly that perhaps there was some defect in the new main pca that would be effecting connectivity (but you say that's on the formatter) and effecting the primer motor? on the service station but maybe this is all just a bad primer motor and need to replace service station ....again the new main pca did get it beyond the 58% hang--the initial problem. Guess gotta replace service station again after only 2 years, dang it! and I will check connectivity.
HP Recommended

I just replaced the service station (primer motor error 21.1:03) on the T770, and I STILL GET 21.1:03 error.  I'm bewildered.  All connections seem fine. ....BTW, connectivity was fine.

An interesting thing:  I can shutdown, pull ink, start up, install ink, then I can get to the point of printing 1 drawing. It will print that drawing then throw up the 21.1:03 error again.

I have already replaced the main PCA (but not the PSU; that was probably a mistake--maybe it has to do with the PSU, but no 21.1:03 before main PCA replacement. I got a stand alone main board from someone who doesn't seem to want to take it back.... He suggests that I got a DOA service station; I don't think so.); that got rid of the 58% boot hang.

Before the main PCA replacement and the 58% boot hang there was no error 21.1:03 per customer.

The only change that I can point to so far as "no" 21.1:03 error and the occurrence of the 21.1:03 error is the main PCA replacment.

All connections seem good; I've doublechecked them.

Thanks for any input.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I'm afraid you have a unique problem that I doubt anyone has experienced before.  I would tend to agree that there is nothing wrong with the service station, unless a wire is pinched somewhere. 

This sounds to me like a miscommunication problem between the main pca and the service station.  I just checked to see if there are any calibrations for the service station that the new pca needs but other than the drop detector I couldn't see anything else.

I certainly would question the pca, was it new or pulled out of a used machine?

HP Recommended

Well, maybe someone has experienced it before.   I checked continuity of all 8 wires from main pca plugs to service station plugs; they were continuous as best I could check.  But dang that doesn't mean there isn't a short; forgot bout that. could be a short; should've checked between wires and wires to ground....

It's a new (supposedly) main pca (and again I feel stupid buying a stand-alone pca. But was on phone, and the guy had it, so bought it. Now I have it in tandem with a 4 year old PSU--not smart.).

Here's what I'm gonna do because I don't want to take forever:

1. Check for short. If short, guess I need to replace the wiring or electrical tape the short.

2. Get main pca/psu checked out in another machine in another tech's shop--see if it throws up 21.1:03 on his machine.

3. Get RMA for the new service station, although I don't know that it's really bad. Could be bad but probably not in light of the old one just being 2 years old.  (If the service station isn't truly bad, then I think I would have cause to return the main pca, but I don't have time for all that. Think I've got to replace both simultaneously to get this done and over with.)

Thanks a heap!

HP Recommended

Hi, any more ideas on this from anyone?:  So far I keep getting system error 21.1:03. I haven't been back to customer yet, for a couple weeks--waiting for pca boards to be checked out and for a replacement service station SS (it's there now) and harness cables to arrive.

Can anyone think of a cause for 21.1:03 besides a bad service station, bad main pca, bad wiring?  I've heard, but kind of through reading between the lines that this could possibly be caused by:

1. A misaligned carriage belt pulley on the L side as face plotter; I plan to check this alignment. maybe possibly

2. A dirty or damaged encoder strip; I plan to clean the encoder strip. or maybe even

3. A problematic cutter....; I'll look at the cutter and make sure it's not obstructing the SS path, possibly????

Beyond this I'm not sure.

So far again? I've:

1. Replaced the main pca, originally due to a 58% hang.  This resolved the hang but almost immediately got the 21.1:03 error. Customer said had not seen this error before. I sent the main pca out to be tested in a test unit at Letech Solutions. It checked out fine. BTW, Also the PSU and formatter board tested fine. Supposedly Couldn't test the hard drive due to it being "used" hardware, so therefore to not be installed in another plotter. But Letech said that a hard drive would not cause such error.

2. Replaced the service station (the ultimate step to cure 21.1:03). But again got 21.1:03. I thought, and after talking to the main pca reseller, that perhaps I got a DOA service station. The replacement new SS is there awaiting installation.

3. I checked out the wiring but admittedly failed to thoroughly trace the wiring on the main pca side (L side) of the unit. I've heard there could be a nick in or scrape on the wiring on that end causing a fault, short or whatever. I need to check this out more thoroughly. Last time I only checked continuity in the applicable 8? wires to the SS. All were continuous. But I didn't check any shorts to ground or between wires. I failed there.  At the time, I didn't consider the wiring a serious contender to cause the problem error. All plugs seemed well seated; nothing stood out to me with the wiring so far as shorts, bare wires, etc. I have harness cables ordered just in case--it may not be needed; I don't want to have to make an additional trip.

If these items don't work, I'm out of ideas right now.

Any insight, advice is welcomed.

Thanks.

Paul

HP Recommended
Well, re. error 21.1:03 on T770, it turned out that the "new" main pca was bad (or maybe possibly the PSU was not providing the proper voltage. Don't know precisely. But I think it was the main pca--no 21.1:03 until the "new" replacement main pca was installed.). I replaced the emod with new emod and it works fine. Not sure why both main pca and PSU tested out fine for the technician; maybe not exhaustive testing; should've thrown up 21.1:03 for him too.

I'm sending the board back; hopefully he gives me full refund for DOA board.

Lesson learned: I should not have bought a separate main pca which normally comes from the factory in an emod--main pca & power supply unit. I asked whether it was "new"; I was told "yes". I suspect the board was pulled from a bad emod and resold or repair was attempted unsuccessfully and was then resold or.... My mistake.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.