Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet Z5400
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have the lubrication oil from my HP vendor and was told to lubricate the carriage rod twice a year with two drops on the left and right sides.

Is there a way to slide the ink carriage along the carriage rod so the oil properly coats it?  Can the ink carriage be manually and safely moved along the carriage rod with the printer turned off?

Printing a wide page so the printer slides the ink carriage along the carriage rod does not cover the entire rod length.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Let me rephrase 🙂

Turn the printer off.

Turn the printer on

When the printer is initializing and all the icons light up, tap one icon at the time X, Home, ?

After that the icons wil blink, that means that it will boot in to the diagnostic mode

Again, this is when the printer is initializing, pay close attention to the panel as you turn it on 🙂

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can access the diagnostic menu, run the scan axis test.

On one of the steps the carriage will move to the middle and will stay there until you make the selection to move it.

Best regards

Mike G

HP Recommended

This may sound like an unusual way to do it.  I mostly work on the T series.  Some of the older units you can just use a thumb to press the guard down and slowly slide the carraige over and go from there. 

On the other units where you can't do the thunb release, I would trick the lid sensors and start it up.  When the carraige swung out of the way,..  I used a 2" X 2" piece of gauze with oil on it and coated the rod from end to end. 

Then I pulled the wads of paper (tricking the sensor) and coated where the carraige was sitting.  That seemed to do the trick.  Note:  I never worked on the Z5400 so unsure about the lid sensors. 

HP Recommended

Hi Gary

GIS_GUY asked for a save option and I consider doing it that way is save.

Opening the window and apply the oil is another way, but the carriage will slowly move back to the right.

Same as the T series.

Some people select the option replace printheads and turn the printer off, this is not good as you can get a printhead rejection.

Other people use the switch on the back to turn the printer off when the carriage moved out of the right, but you can cause problems with the hard drive or electrical components later

Best regards

Mike G

HP Recommended

I was doing the power thing for the first few times I did it.  However, about 8 or 9 years ago I was setting up a new, fresh out of the box, MFP for a large bank were serviced. 

It was one of the first M3035 units out, not a T/DJ.   I went through start up and configured the fax, scan to email, etc... Then had to set in in a cabinet.  Unfortunately I pulled the power plug about 1 second too early before the unit was fully powered down. 

The only pages that machine ever printed was the config page I did when I first connected it.  I blew out every board in the thing.  That made me a little leary of the power switch on any unit that boots up or down.  Everyone has different methods.  Mine was thought of because I was a volunteer medic at the time I first worked on the T series and had the 2X2 gauze pads in a first aid bag in my truck.  Never had an issue. 

I did the open window once where the heads move slowly and I was wiping the bar.  Then it seemed to "jump" the last 12" or so.  Scared the snot out of me and whacked my hand.  Didn't hurt, but I certainly jumped back!  LOL

HP Recommended

LOL,

Yeah, thats what I mean. just need to be quick enough to do it that.

Best regards

Mike G

HP Recommended

@Mikeg81 wrote:

Hi,

You can access the diagnostic menu, run the scan axis test.

Thanks, but I don't see that option. There is a "Service menu" from the "Wrench" icon but the service menu is password protected.

HP Recommended
Turn the printer off
Turn it back on
When all the icons turn on tap the X home ? Icons one at the time

If u did it right. The will blink 3-4 times
Best regards

Mike G

HP Recommended

@Mikeg81 wrote:
Turn the printer off
Turn it back on
When all the icons turn on tap the X home ? Icons one at the time

If u did it right. The will blink 3-4 times

Must not be pressing buttons at the correct time - when I press the home button, the only icons displayed are "USB" and "Jobs"  Pressing either one of these simply activates their intended function.

You menioned "when all the icons turn on", so I tried pressing the red X lighted "button" while the printer was starting, but nothing different happened.

The display panel is similar to the one at http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04052718 but mine only lists "USB Drive", "Jobs", and "i Ready".

Pressing the "i Ready" displays a sub-menu of options for paper, ink and other items, but none like you've indicated.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Let me rephrase 🙂

Turn the printer off.

Turn the printer on

When the printer is initializing and all the icons light up, tap one icon at the time X, Home, ?

After that the icons wil blink, that means that it will boot in to the diagnostic mode

Again, this is when the printer is initializing, pay close attention to the panel as you turn it on 🙂

Best regards

Mike G

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.