Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
DesignJet T520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just got a call for a non-working DesignJet T520 36" Printer at one of my area schools and am needing some advanced diagnostics assistance.

Thanks!

SchoolITPro

History:

Last year the school started receiving an error message when powering on that they dutifully reported.  They were told that the Printhead Assembly was bad and were shown the part.  They waited a year for new funding and then ordered a new printhead replacement part along with new cartridges.  They installed the printhead following the onscreen prompts, then the ink cartridges.

The printer displayed that it was preparing printer then jumped to Printhead Startup Failure -  "Not enough ink to complete setup.  Cartridges used during initialization must be NEW..." and displayed that all the colors (or the printhead) need to be replaced.

Fast forward to today:

I showed up, installed the full T520 driver on my Windows 10 Laptop along with the HP DesignJet Utility

Both the designjet Utility and  onscreen display (previous to firmware update) show that the print cartridges are New,  Full, and certified / verified hp cartridges. Also, the PHA shows the correct model, ink levels, and applicable details.

Wiping the printhead ink surface transfers ink to the wiping material.

Previous to firmware: Using the menu to attempt to align the printhead, clean the printhead, or print a detail report the printer would report that it was starting the process, but then just sit there for 5-10 minutes, not moving / pulling paper.

Resolution Attempts:

Attempt 1: Removed the print cartridges and the printhead, reseated both, and got the same PSF message.  Powered it off and back on again, removed the printhead (with the cartridges still installed) reseated it and then was able to get to the normal onscreen display.  All areas of the settings menu shows that the printer is ready to go.  

Attempt 2: I attempted to align the printhead using the onscreen menus; the alignment starts, but the printer never pulls paper, proceeds past 0% or moves any more than 1" side to side.  After 10 minutes of waiting I killed the power and rebooted.

Note: When opening the top / cartridge doors the printhead chasis does move to the correct locations for loading & unloading.

Attempt 3: Pulled the printhead and cleaned all the contacts with an eraser (they all appeared clean, no tarnishing / short indications).  

Attempt 4: Updated the firmware using the DesignJet utility and the firmware available for download from hp support.  I am no longer able to get past the error to the onscreen menu, the printer shows the PHF Error and insists that the NEW cartridges need to be replaced with NEW Full cartridges and shows a logo for all 4 cartridges. Yet, the DesignJet Utility shows that all the ink cartridges are ready, new, and Full.

Help!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you just purchase the printhead kit, contact HP and ask for help with this problem.

They will guide you on some steps to clear the message.

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
HP Recommended

By this do you mean purchase another new printhead and then call? Apparently this printhead is now a year old, but has yet to be used.

FWIW: I did call support yesterday and they want $40 (which neither the site nor I have) to troubleshoot the problem .

HP Recommended

Hi

Check the private message I sent you

Best regards

Mike G

HP Recommended
I faced the same problem on my T520 HP desk jet printer. Please help me
HP Recommended

Hi

Have you replaced the printhead?

Best regards

Mike G

HP Recommended

I have the same problem  new headink and new cartriges" and displayed that all the colors (or the printhead) need to be replaced."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.