Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have my PC and Mac hooked up to the monitor via DVI and VGA respectively. I decided to give HDMI a try with the macbook and it worked fine except that it kept switching from DVI (when on the PC) to the HDMI connection whenever the PC went to sleep. So I turned off Auto-Switch Source and it worked okay. Now I can't actually get any output though, all I get is the Monitor Status that says Active for DVI and HDMI (or VGA if I plug that back in) but then it says "Check Video Cable". I've no idea which source it means (would it be DVI as DVI is set as the default source) and it's very odd as it was working fine earlier. I press all the buttons and cannot get the On Screen Display to appear so I can't switch sources.

I've left the monitor unplugged for hours, tried holding the power button down for a minute but Auto-Switch Source is still off and I can't change the source. It seems like a really, really poor design and I'm wondering if anyone could help.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I am having a related problem with a 2511x and a 13 Mac Book Pro, Thunderbolt/MiniDisplay Port. The monitor works fine with the VGA input on the monitor, but refuses to connect with the HDMI port, using a Mini to HDMI dongle into a HDMI cable. I have tried two different mfgr dongles without any success.

I looked at the Apple forum and found out that there are lots of people having a similar problem, and the comments from the SUCCESSFUL people are to use a Griffin dongle, which is now on order from Amazon. I am going to post the results when I get it by 2/5/12.

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problem.  I turned off auto switching and see the same message and can't access the menu.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  The monitor goes to sleep in less than 2 seconds before I can manuver through the menu.

HP Recommended

@gscott2112 & @Paldrion,

Please provide us the complete model of your monitor, so that we can assist you in a better way:

How to find model number of your Monitor:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00061531

Regards,

=======================

I am an HP employee.

If my suggestion was helpful, you can thank me by clicking on the "Kudos" button!
If my answer solved your problem, please feel free let the community know by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button!!

HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

Can you guys try to connect the monitor to a PC with the VGA connection and make a factory reset on the OSD menu of the monitor?

Check if this works, it should put the menus with the default settings.

THanks,

Hugo M. Lemos
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I turned off the auto-switching and now it sees active ports but doesn't have any display. Did you find any fixes? The rest by holding down the power button doesn't work. The menu should be accessible even without a minitor connected. Argggggggh!

HP Recommended
Don't know if u r still onboard, but your suggestion assumes I can get theOSD to activate, and I cannot. How do I get the OSD to accept a command (BTW, the "save/return" option is "greyed" out). Thx.
HP Recommended

Did anyone get a fix for this? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.