Question

Honor Student
LS35
Message 1 of 5 (134 Views)

Adding second monitor

I have a Pavillion Slimline s5-1014 and I want to hook up a second monitor.  There's only 1 VGA port on the back.  Is there an adapter I can get to add a second port, or do I need to replace the video card?  

Thanks for your help

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 5 (117 Views)

Re: Adding second monitor

While replacing the video card is the most productive, those Slimlines are cramped and lack a decent power supply, making replacing the video card stressful.  Another solution is to get a USB adapter that can function similar, but it does have limits.  HERE are some examples of the most accepted units.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
LS35
Message 3 of 5 (85 Views)

I was afraid of that issue with the slimline.

You mentioned that there are limitations to the USB solution.  I basically do a lot of Excel work and want to work with multiple worksheets and be able to drag data across.  Do you think the USB can handle that, or am I better off looking at a new computer altogether.  I work for a non-profit, so funds are tight, but I do need dual monitors.

Thanks so much for your help.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 4 of 5 (81 Views)

[ Edited ]

While I have not used one with the Excel program, I believe that it will do that well.  Just be aware of where the extra screen is when you move data from one to another.  Once it has been setup and you are used to using it the way it is, then I think you will be pleased with the results almost as well as a standard dual monitor setup.

BTW: With the USB option of adding monitors, one does not have to rely on only dual monitors  It can support, I believe, as many as six ( on a Windows PC).  Each additional monitor has to have its own adapter, however.  Check the specs for the adapter you pick to see how many additional monitors with its own device, can be supported.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
LS35
Message 5 of 5 (63 Views)

Thanks for your help.  I'm going to try to set it up right away.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation