Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have installed Windows 7 upgraded from XP and now my computor will not boot up in regular mode, only in safe mode with my original HP monitor.  It boots up fine with another Non HP brand. The point at which it stops is when the monitor flashes that phrase, Auto Adjustment In Progress.  I have left it flashing for an extended period of time and nothing happens.  It seems it is not able to auto adjust in regular mode but is able to adjust in safe mode.  The monitor is an HP TS-20W7 model.  I cannot see how to turn off Auto Adjustment.  I have also tried the Factory Reset in the monitor menu.  What should I do?  Has the monitor bit the dust even though it worked fine with Windows XP? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have the problem solved.  My tech guy who installed the W7 came back and hooked up another monitor that worked with the computor and then changed the resolution setting to something close to what my own monitor was recommending. Then he hooked up my monitor again and it worked.  He then changed it to the setting that it was on when it didn't work and sure enough we got the Auto Adjustment in Progress message again.  Happily, that timed out and the screen came back so we could try different ones to see which was the best resolution format.  

For some reason, we do not have the recommended resolution in the drop down box but at least it is working now.  So apparently the message kept flashing on that one selected resolution but stops when we have any of the other ones. Sounds like a bug in the software to me.  I might try reloading the driver again today to see if we can get that issue cleared up.

Thanks for your assistance. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if installing the W7 monitor driver for your monitor resolves the problem.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=vc-98411-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

You will have to install the driver in safe mode since you can't get to the windows screen in regular mode.

Did you also install the applicable W7 graphics driver for the model PC you have?

HP Recommended

I actually had a tech person install W7 for me along with a new hard drive which is why the computor crashed in the first place.  So, I have a new HD and a new OS W7.  

After installing W7 the computor worked fine with his monitor.  Not sure if he installed the graphics driver for this computor.  I will see if I can determine if the correct graphics driver is installed.  I just saved the monitor driver you linked to me and installed it on the computor and that did not fix the problem.

HP Recommended

To add to this, I have determined the graphics card is an Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family.  When I right clicked on that and updated driver, Windows says the correct driver is installed.

One observation is that the screen resolutions avaible to select are different than the one that is recommended by the "Auto Adjustment in Progress" message.  The message says 1680 x 1050 is recommended but I can only select 1600x 1200 as the closest one to that.  Maybe that doesn't tell us anything but it seems that the recommended setting should be avaiable with the correct driver installed.  

HP Recommended

Maybe you should set the screen resolution to one of the ones listed in the Windows 7 display control panel.

I presume the correct graphics driver is installed, or you would be seeing a Standard VGA Adapter listed under the display adapters category.

Is your monitor a 4:3 (more square) or a 16:9 (widescreen)?

HP Recommended

I have the problem solved.  My tech guy who installed the W7 came back and hooked up another monitor that worked with the computor and then changed the resolution setting to something close to what my own monitor was recommending. Then he hooked up my monitor again and it worked.  He then changed it to the setting that it was on when it didn't work and sure enough we got the Auto Adjustment in Progress message again.  Happily, that timed out and the screen came back so we could try different ones to see which was the best resolution format.  

For some reason, we do not have the recommended resolution in the drop down box but at least it is working now.  So apparently the message kept flashing on that one selected resolution but stops when we have any of the other ones. Sounds like a bug in the software to me.  I might try reloading the driver again today to see if we can get that issue cleared up.

Thanks for your assistance. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

At least you are able to use your monitor now.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.