Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-154ea
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi.

I've just had a new hard drive fitted to this desktop as it failed a few months out of warranty.

The tech guy has done a decent job of drive replacement and re-loading Windows 8.1 plus other basic software back on and I've re-loaded all our files OK... but the Beats Audio software is missing. Mine was the type with graphic equaliser and 7.1 setup etc so you could balance the speakers and sub etc.

The audio works but he's obviously used a low spec generic 2 channel sound driver with no more than volume adjust.

I can't see the Beats software download on the HP page specific to my desktop model and wondered if there was a generic download I could use?

Also I have seen on this forum links to the Beats download for other desktops but assumed it might be model specific?

Any advice or links appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

As before, uninstall the current IDT HD audio software from its entry in Programs and Features and then restart the PC.

Then download the following IDT HD software package and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58818.exe

Next, if you don't have an extraction utility installed, download and install the .msi 64-bit x64 installer for 7-Zip on the link below.

http://www.7-zip.org/

When done, open your Downloads folder, right click the IDT HD software installer, select 7-Zip, select extract files and then click Ok.  Open the newly extracted folder ( sp58818 ), open src, browse down to setup.exe ( size 368Kb ), right click it and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.

If this completes successfully, restart the PC again.

Any sign of 'Beats'.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi,

The Beats audio function and graphical interface is provided the the IDT HD Audio software package - I can't see any listing for this driver under Windows 8.1, but you should find the Windows 8 driver will work Ok - you can download and install this from the following link.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70501-71000/sp70509.exe

When the installation has completed, restart the PC and let Windows fully load for a few minutes before checking.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Fast reply much appreciated. I'll give that a go after lunch and report back.

It should be OK with 8.1 as the PC was 8 at purchase and then I did the 8.1 upgrade with the Beats software still working fine without further upgrade to Beats.

HP Recommended

OK sort of halfway but not quite.

That download has given me the IDT audio control panel with a few more options than I had but not Beats. Also none of the sliders work in the IDT panel... well they move but don't alter the sound.

Is there something else to try?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,

There does appear to be an alternative driver, so first of all, uninstall the current IDT package from its entry in Programs and Features, then restart the PC.

When windows has reloaded, try the version on the following link.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp62501-63000/sp62736.exe

Again, when the installation has completed, restart the PC again.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Ahh thanks that's the best yet ... but still not Beats.

That link loaded a DTS control panel where all the sliders work but it doesn't have the spot on sound of the Beats I had before. Also weirdly if I set to 5.1 sound (I have a 5.1 speaker set connected) it is thin and dreadful even with the sliders optimised... but if I select stereo option then the sound is full and 75% of how it was before the hard drive replacement.

So odd that the Beats console/processing software is hard to find.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I've just extracted the installer package in my previous post and it does contain both DTS and Beats installation options - the fact that the installer package chooses to install the DTS option is likely down to an error in detecting your PCs specific configuration correctly which can happen if Windows has been installed from a 'retail disc' rather than the Recovery Media created for the PC.

Check the following.

Hold down the Windows key and press R.

Into the Run box type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In the Device Manager window is there any device showing an error icon?

If there is, right click on the problem device and select Properties.  Click the Details tab, choose Hardware Ids from the dropdown box and post back with the details shown under Value.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

No problems devices found... and I bet you're right re the way the new hard drive was loaded. Stupidly I was confused with two different make PCs we bought at the same time and thought both came with a recovery disc.... sadly it was just the other one.

So all the recovery partition for this PC is on the old faulty drive and the guy loaded a generic Windows 8.1 under our existing licence but it has none of the HP specific software.

I do have the faulty drive and it isn't corrupted but it is failing to spin to speed so getting data off it that should take 15sec takes 15mins. I wonder if I could mount it inside this PC in the spare drive space then re-load this new drive from that old one??

HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't think it's likely you would be able to create a viable image from the failed HDD, but if you can mount it internally, browse to the root of the C drive and look for a folder titled SWSETUP - this will contain nearly all the original software and driver installers that were bundled with your PC - and see if you can copy it to the Desktop.

However, there may also be another way of making the IDT installer select the correct configuration - can you let me know the following from Device Manager:

1. The name of your PCs graphics hardware.

2.  Expand Sound Video and Game Controllers, right click on the IDT device and select Properties.  Click the Details tab, choose Hardware Ids from the dropdown box and post back with the details shown under Value.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

OK just off out but will get that info later and post... I very much appreciate the help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.