Question

Student
liltwix
Message 1 of 2 (216 Views)

Black screen after waking from sleep mode - Compaq Presario CQ5110F

My mother's computer has been having the problem listed in the subject -- after waking from sleep mode, the monitor just stays black, and won't come back. After trying everything I could find online, I eventually found the bios update which claims to fix the exact issue. The problem is that I guess my mother had opted to upgrade to Windows 7, while the bios update seems to only work for Windows Vista, as I get the following error message: "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been canceleld. (9998)." I've tried running the update in Vista compatibility mode, with no luck. I've tried using a different monitor, I've updated all the drivers, Windows Updates are all current, I've cleared CMOS. Any idea on how to fix this? It's very recent; only for about the past 2 weeks has this been happening, while we've had the computer for over 3 years. It's quite a waste of energy to keep it on all day.

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 2 of 2 (187 Views)

Re: Black screen after waking from sleep mode - Compaq Presario CQ5110F

Hello liltwix,

When taking your computer out of safe mode the screen just remains black, is that correct? I will try to help you with this issue.

I understand you upgraded from Vista to 7, was that when the issue started or has the computer had windows 7 installed for some time before this problem started?

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation