Question

Student
sacwolfpack
Message 1 of 7 (6,043 Views)

Buzzing/humming noise from Hp w2338 LCD monitor

This monitor is brand new and has made a low buzzing/humming noise when the screen is on. I realize that maybe som noise is normal, but this is pretty noticeable to me. My last HP monitor never made a sound. Is the noise due to it being an LCD or is it something I should get checked out?
Honor Student
GoCubs
Message 2 of 7 (5,750 Views)

Re: Buzzing/humming noise from Hp w2338 LCD monitor

I had the same problem with the HP w2338 monitor.  I was able to eliminate the buzzing sound by turning the brightness to 100%.  The buzz was their regardless of using VGA or HDMI connection.  This is an obvious bug in the LCD monitors.
NAP Honor Student
Honor Student
NAP
Message 3 of 7 (5,653 Views)

My humming issue was also resolved by adjusting the monitor brightness level to 100%.
Student
jpwilli3
Message 4 of 7 (5,532 Views)

Thanks for the brightness hint; it fixed my irritating humming noise too, but I wonder if it's just delaying a flaw that will create another problem later once the monitor is out of warranty!!

Honor Student
momochan
Message 5 of 7 (5,491 Views)

Another thanks for the tip here!

I've had my HP 2159m monitor for a few months and have only noticed the noise tonight.  Granted it's extremely quiet in here which is rare, so perhaps the noise has always been there and I just never noticed it before.

I found that the noise disappeared when I tweaked brightness to about 75 - 79 %.  Since I don't like the brightness that high with the light in here, I went back into NVIDIA Control Panel (right-click desktop menu) and re-tweaked the brightness/gamma settings there to help compensate.

Honor Student
abeautifulmind2
Message 6 of 7 (5,323 Views)

I have an HP2159m and recently noticed the same thing.  I tried all the suggestions in the forum but none worked.  But, because I was in the menu of my monitor I decided to play around with some settings to see if anything else would make the noise go away.  I discovered that the volume on my monitor was turned all the way up and was causing the noise...duh.  I don't usually adjust my volume via the monitor but use the volume adjustment keys on my keyboard so I did not even think to check those. 

Teacher
blargg
Message 7 of 7 (4,863 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a 2159m manufactured in April 2009 and hear this sound as well. I'm pretty sure it's due to the design of the backlight power supply. When dimming the backlight, it pulses it on and off quickly, rather than truely changing its brightness. It's the same principle as most home air conditioners/heaters work, where they turn it completely on and off periodically, rather than running it all the time and varying the amount of cooling/heating (which is difficult to do). To vary the brightness, the time it's on during each pulse is varied, as compared to the time it's off (pulse width modulation, PWM).

Oh, wow, the speaker volume really does affect the level of this buzz. When I turned the volume to 100%, it was noticeably louder. Oddly, selecting HDMI Audio as the input made it even worse. So be sure to turn the volume all the way down.

I wouldn't recommend running at high brightness, because it will shorten the life of the backlights. I consider myself very sensitive to noise and yet haven't been bothered by my 2159m even when it's quiet and I can faintly hear the buzz (and I run at 0 brightness all the time). I wonder whether some of the sound others hear is being reflected off the wall; some cloth or other sound-absorbing material on the wall might help, though I'm just guessing here.

I agree that it's unfortunate that LCD backlight power supply designs haven't improved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation