Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The HDMI connection to my HP 2310 makes everything I plug into it extend 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch beyond the edges of the screen on all sides.  The manual says that with the "custom scaling" under the "image control" menu I can force the signal to fit on the screen, but "custom scaling" is greyed out and I can't adjust it.  Does anyone have any ideas on unlocking this function?

Background: 

• It happens with my computer and my blu ray player so it's not the graphics card in the computer.
  • With VGA from the computer it works fine with nothing cut off. 
  • I've tried other HDMI cables, and no luck. 
  • Tech support told me it was a defect in my monitor so I exchanged it, but it happens on this one too. 
  • I've played both the computer and blu ray through other HD monitors and nothing gets cut off with them, it only happens on the HP.

I think if I could switch modes in "custom scaling" it would fix it, but nobody can tell me how to access it.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Be sure you are using the latest monitor driver.  Look over the instructions for the utility software.

Go to ATI or NVIDIA for a video card update.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

All graphics drivers have been updated. 

This menu is the monitor menu accessed by pressing the "menu" button on the monitor.

Does this sound right - the tech support guy at HP told me that there is no way to update firmware or software on a monitor, that they are all plug-and-play and there are no HP drivers involved.

HP Recommended

I haven't seen any firmware updates for any monitor.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my inquiries, Big Dave.  Do monitors use drivers?

Tomorrow I'm going to take pictures or video to show the issue I've posted about.  Where can I post them so people can take a look and offer suggestions? 

HP Recommended

Monitors have drivers.  See my above post and link.

HP Recommended

I had followed your instructions, but then the HP techs threw me for a loop by telling me monitors don't use drivers.  Why would they tell me that?

HP Recommended

Apparently the HP techs are not aware of the posted drivers for the monitors. HP calls them drivers but some think of them as .inf files.  See this explanation by Intel.

HP Recommended

2310 Pics x 3.jpg

Here's three screen shots of the corner of the menu page of a video playing on the 2310 showing the issue (the menu is a still frame, so the images aren't different because of the person moving). 

VGA is good, but anything plugged into the HDMI has its edges cut off.  The third image is from a stand-alone blu ray player that goes directly into the monitor and the computer is in no way involved.  So it can't be a computer or graphics card issue.  This cuts off the media player controls that usually appear across the bottom.

To get the HDMI from the computer to fit on the screen you have to lower the resolution from true 1920 x 1080 to 1680 x 1050 and then it's a little smaller than the screen and has black space around it.  Also, when a monitor is billed as "Full HD" I shouldn't have to lower the resolution to see the whole picture.

The "custom scaling" feature which the manual says should fix this is grayed out and cannot be accessed.  I think this is a problem with HPs in general.  The same issue happened on both the 2310 monitors I brought home and the one on display in the store.  One of the tech support guy said they couldn't access custom scaling on the one in their office either.

I saw one post that this has happened to someone else.  Has anyone seen an issue like this and solved it?

HP Recommended

See your other post.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.