Compaq NX 7400 (776 Views)
Honor Student
ideaz
Message 1 of 4 (776 Views)

Compaq NX 7400

My HD was recently re-formatted and the following occurs when I re-install my Windows XP software. 

1. I power on the computer with the Windows XP software disc inserted.
  2. The HP Invent logo, Intel Logo and options to access F9 (Boot device menu) or F10 (Rom based setup) are displayed.
  3. I enter my 'power-on' password.
  4. Windows setup is accessed and setup starts loading the files.
  5. The files are loaded and I am welcomed to setup, followed by : This portion of the setup program prepares Microsoft (R) Windows (R) XP to run on your computer; To setup Windows XP now, press enter; To repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R; To quit setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
  6. I press ‘enter’ to setup Windows XP and the following are displayed: Setup did not find any hard disc drives installed on your computer followed by; Make sure any hard disc drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disc-related hardware configuration is correct; This may involve running a manufacturer supplied, diagnostic or setup program; Setup cannot continue; To quit setup, press F3.

Any suggestions?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (770 Views)

Re: Compaq NX 7400

Hi:

That can be remedied very easily. Go into your BIOS and in the device configuration menu, change the sata native mode from enabled to disabled.

Save your setting there and again when you exit.

Now you should have no problem loading XP.

When you are done, please post back and I will give you the step by step instructions to load the SATA ACHI driver after you install windows, so you can change the Sata native mode BIOS setting back to enabled.

That allows your sata drive to make use of native command queuing, which it will not have when the sata native mode setting is disabled.

Paul

Honor Student
ideaz
Message 3 of 4 (761 Views)

Hi Paul

Thank you very much. It worked!

Could you please let me have the step by step instructions to load the SATA ACHI driver so as to change the SATA native mode BIOS back to enabled.

Best wishes, Steve.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (757 Views)

Hi, Steve:

You're very welcome.

Below are the step by step instructions you need to install the SATA ACHI driver:

1. First download and install the chipset driver and reboot.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2300&DwnldID=20775&ProductFamily=Chips...

2. Then download, extract, and save these drivers to a folder you name whatever you want. Remember where you saved it.  You want the second file download (32 bit).

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2300&DwnldID=20625&ProductFamily=Chips...

3. Right-click the My Computer icon, click Manage, select Device Manager

4. Click the + symbol beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers , this would show the devices under this category.

5. You will find the Intel native SATA storage controller driver installed.

6. Right-click one of the Serial ATA storage controllers listed, and click Update Driver .

7. In Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard, select No, not this time. Click Next .

8. Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) . Click Next

9. Select Don't search I will choose the driver to install . Click Next

10. Click Have Disk

11. Click Browse

12. Select location: c:\folder you saved ACHI drivers to.

13. Select iaAHCI.inf

14. Click Open

15. This will list several SATA AHCI Controllers. From this list, select the Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller. Click Next.

16. The Update Driver Warning will be shown. Click Yes

17. The driver will install, and completing the Hardware update Wizard appears. Click Finish

18. You can find the updated controller in the device manager.

19. During restart, press the F10 key and boot to BIOS setup utility . Go back to your device configurations sub menu and change the SATA Native Mode back to Enabled, save settings there (F10) and upon exit, save changes and reboot.

Now, the SATA driver is successfully installed and the desktop will boot into Windows with SATA Native Mode set to AHCI.

If you need further assistance or help with finding drivers, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation