Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 34 (54,295 Views)

Computer issue - Monitor giving "monitor going to sleep" over and over.

Hey thanks for any responses in advance.

I'm going to try and make it sound as uncomplicated as possible to get any advice...

Sister was using flash based kiddy game site called "stardoll" or something and while we went to dinner it was left up I think. Different sister comes back into the room and noticed that the computer was frozen. She restarts it but as soon is it turns on the monitors LED (HP w1907) lights blue then turns orange and says "Monitor is going to sleep" (because it's not getting a signal)

I have tried several different things... vacuumed out all the nasty dust inside and inspected everything. Swapped out monitors with my trusty old dell flat panel and tried more different cables (vga and DVI) and same thing... Turns on for a second with the computer but goes to sleep saying no signal.

The computer is an HP Pavilion from july 2008 and hasn't really had many problems before.. windows vista 4gb mem pentium core duo or something....

From doing a LOT of googling it seems like the motherboard blew something in that has to do with the video capacity, so I think I'm going to try to use my dells graphics card in there to see if it works in there but I don't know... What does anyone else think?

Student
rtmyers5
Message 2 of 34 (54,291 Views)

Re: Computer issue - Monitor giving "monitor going to sleep" over and over.

I am having the same issue. There is a fix posted on HP advisor. However, I tried the fix and am still having the same issue.  I do not know what to do. Please help 

Tutor
Message 3 of 34 (54,289 Views)

yeah. I don't think it's a fault of ours (as owners) 

My brother just came to tell me that his friend has the EXACT same computer has something similar if not the exact same thing happen to him and it's a video or driver or something.. he's not sure on the details but it's basically the same thing.

Student
jburd
Message 4 of 34 (53,751 Views)

I have the exact same problem.   It occurred 3 months ago,  Called Support, they tried a fix but it didn't work.  Called back, turned out this model is on recall.  They ordered the motherboard to be replaced.  A technician was scheduled and the motherboard was sent overnight.  The Technician replaced the motherboard but it turned out that a bad motherboard had to be sent and so they sent out a second motherboard and the technician had to come back.  New motherboard was replaced, everything seem to be ok.  Here I am less than 3 months later and guess what the same thing happens.  I called support, they had no record of my warranty, even though I had called and registered twice via phone and tried once online.  I tried again today, to discover their systems are down and I was told the best way to register the product is through snail mail.  So here I am with a very expensive doorstop while I am waiting for HP to get their act together. 

I am disabled and depend heavily on my computer, and I am an avid gamer.  I pulled out an old computer which runs slow but at least it is working so that I can check email and facebook.  

Honor Student
arhei5
Message 5 of 34 (53,726 Views)

i have exactly the same problem
but my desktop is a older model
HP Pavilion w5028hk with P4 2.8Ghz GMA900, monitor:HP f1905
After i turn on the computer
The Monitor has shown the message
VGA:No input Signal
And after 2 seconds,it showsThe monitor is going to sleep"

I have connected the monitor with my Notebook and it works

I hope here will be some techicians form HP or any other experienced people to answer our question.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 34 (53,715 Views)

Monitor going to sleep means no video signal. If you tested the monitor on another PC then it's probably not the monitor or cable. It could be a bad motherboard or video card.  You might try updating the video driver and resetting the power options in the Control Panel to the defaults if you can get that far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Student
satinram
Message 7 of 34 (52,336 Views)

im having the same problem but i can hook the monitor up to my notebook and it works but then i can hook my pc up to a different monitor and it works fine but they dont work together.

Honor Student
wademm
Message 8 of 34 (38,441 Views)

I have a customer that is having the same trouble, but it works in Save Mode.  This rules out the motherboard.  I think it is an option issue, but can't find out what option is incorrect.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 9 of 34 (38,232 Views)

Computer issue - Monitor giving "monitor going to sleep" over and over.

Hello wademm

What computer model does your customer have? As mentioned in this thread already it could be a motherboard issue, video card issue, or a video driver issue.

If you are able to boot into Safe Mode which uses bare minimum drivers and you do get a signal that eliminates a hardware problem.
What operating system is running on the computer? Does your customer remember anything that may have updated or change around the time the problem started occurring.
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Student
gwhite1209
Message 10 of 34 (35,219 Views)

I have a HP w1858 that does the same thing... When I press the power button the power light is orange and the turns blue..The monitor displays monitor is gong to sleep..What can I do to resolved this problem...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation