Question

Top Student
Jess1dering
Message 1 of 8 (1,849 Views)

Connect TV to HP Pavilion Slimline S5610F

[ Edited ]

Even though I bought a new Emachines lcd monitor when I bought the computer, the flash video looks blocky and poor. I know from being able to connect my laptop to my TV that most video looks better on the TV than the lcd screen. If there is some setting that would improve the video playback on the lcd I be happy to know about that too.I would like to connect my TV to the S561 as a 2nd monitor. The analog TV  only has  SVHS in, and the regular RCA video in plug. I wondered if there  is a way to connect an adapter to the vga output or any other ways. A few posts before this someone is asking how to connect their pc to the tv but their tv has a monitor type connection whereas mine doesn't.Thanks

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 8 (1,829 Views)

Re: Connect TV to HP Pavilion Slimline S5610F

This is the motherboard for your PC.  It's shows two video output ports.  For dual monitors review this article.

You might want to go to the Emachine web site and look for a monitor driver.

A VGA cable to your TV should work unless it will only accept digital and then you would have to use a DVI<-->DVI cable connection.  Then connect the monitor using a VGA cable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
Jess1dering
Message 3 of 8 (1,737 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the answer and the link to see the motherboard. Even though there are 2 video outs does it mean that if I buy a simple vga to rca/s vhs adapter that the video signal will go to the TV? I would have to order one online as my local stores don't carry them. As I look into this more I haven't seen anything that confirms that a simple adapter connecting one of the video outputs on the S5610F will send the correct signal to the analog TV's rca/S-VHS jack. Also no luck in finding improved drivers for the monitor. My suspicion (evidenced also by my new laptop lcd) is that analog TV's inherently show non-hd video's like youtube,espn3 etc better than LCD screen. If it looks like a tv can't be connectedthrough a simple adapter it would seem like an alternative video card would be a better alternative than buying some external vga-rca/svhs adapter. If so could someone recommend one?

Top Student
Jess1dering
Message 4 of 8 (1,685 Views)

Well, I guess no-one on this forum has tried to connect a tv to this particular pc. Closer examination of the only answer given shows that it doesn't really address tv out,but rather using a 2nd monitor. I would have appreciated some kind of verification before wasting money by ordering online.

Master's Graduate
konk6i3
Message 5 of 8 (1,679 Views)

I don't think it is a matter of connecting to this particular PC, but rather a matter of connecting to an analog only TV. If you were trying to connect to a modern digital TV, I could say without a doubt that it would be straight forward. I have experience connecting to an analog TV when the PC has the RCA connectors on them, typically with an add-on graphics card. It is not a simple experience because you are connecting a PC device to a CE device and quite often the TV was in such overscan that you could not see the picture well. But use of RCA on graphics cards has given way to HDMI connectors because this is more the choice of modern digital TV's. 

I have not had experience with the type of device you are referring to, a VGA to RCA adaptor, so I cannot say if it would be straight forward or not. But if you got it connected, then you would be using the Windows Screen Resolution command, right-click on desktop to either duplicate, from the e-machines desktop to extend or duplicate to the second display.

There are quite a few documents on hp.com/support dealing with connecting to a TV, such as http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02013758&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

But as mentioned, you are trying to mix a modern PC/OS with an older TV, so there are no documents with this configuration.

Cheers,

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Top Student
Jess1dering
Message 6 of 8 (1,599 Views)

Wow, it sounds like I'm doing something quite far fetched. I connect my Dell laptop (which has a dongle with rca out) to my old analog tv and any flash video other than HD comes out way better on the TV than my new LCD Emachines monitor. I would have hoped that an HP tech support worker would have jumped in with a clear answer. I just need to  know if I need to buy another video card  or if I can use the existing card  on the s5610f with an adapter. I would also be interested to hear from people with this same computer about experiences they may have had with adding a tv card to record programs. Thanks

Top Student
Jess1dering
Message 7 of 8 (1,535 Views)

bump

Top Student
Jess1dering
Message 8 of 8 (1,188 Views)

Disappointing that HP doesn't take the time to have one of their technicians respond in their own forum. This was hardly an obscure question which was basically what is the simplest way to connect a non vga/hdmi TV to a recent HP slimline.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation