Question

Top Student
DK_MT
Message 1 of 8 (1,489 Views)

DUAL MONITORS

I want to extend my desk top with a second monitor (not for gaming). I intend to find an inexpensive and, hopefully, low power video card for this purpose. If this card has dual output connectors, the two monitors can either (A) both be connected to this card, or, (B) one can be connected to this card and the other to the onboard video adapter. In case (A) is it possible to shut down the onboard video adapter in order to conserve power -- say, by going into the Device Manager and disabling or uninstalling this adapter? Is there any reason why (A) or (B) is the preferred method of connecting the monitors?

Master's Graduate
konk6i3
Message 2 of 8 (1,478 Views)

Re: DUAL MONITORS

B is not possible, when you install a video card, onboard video gets disabled. Your other option is a USB to Video adaptor.

Cheers,

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Top Student
DK_MT
Message 3 of 8 (1,469 Views)

: Your remark doesn't seem to be consistent with the discussion in "Using Two or More Monitors with One Computer in Windows 7":

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01950657

In which the first Note remarks:

If you must add a second video card to your computer to gain another video connection,

make sure both video cards use the same Windows 7 compliant (WDDM) driver.

One way to ensure this is to use the same video card model for both video connections.

Which seems to imply that a single-port video card can be used to get a second connection. Which is correct?

Master's Graduate
konk6i3
Message 4 of 8 (1,466 Views)

[ Edited ]

This document note is talking about video cards. Your "B" asked about both a video card and integrated video from the motherboard. Nothing inconsistent. You cannot run integrated video and a add-in video card simultaneously.

Cheers,

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Top Student
DK_MT
Message 5 of 8 (1,430 Views)

My interpretation of the Note was based on the assumption that the onboard graphics adapter was also a "video card". Apparently this is incorrect.

If so, is it the case that if I install a PCI video card with only a single VGA port, the onboard adapter is disabled and I will be able to connect only one VGA monitor via the PCI card? If the onboard adapter is disabled does that mean it is using no power?

Thus to use two monitors, I need to install a dual output video card (or two single output cards)? Is the onboard video adapter also disabled/turned-off in this case?

This is not how it worked on my Win XP and Win 98 machines!

My experience on my new Win 7 machine is this: When I installed my old PCI single-VGA output video card, it worked only if I designated it in BIOS as the primary video adapter. The onboard adapter did not work and was not recognized in Device Manager. If I designated the onboard adapter as primary, it worked, but the PCI card did not, although it appeared in the Device Manager list of Display Adapters with a status of "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". Is this what is what I should have expected with WIn 7?

Top Student
DK_MT
Message 6 of 8 (1,403 Views)

My interpretation of the Note was based on the assumption that the onboard graphics adapter was also a "video card". Apparently this is incorrect.

If so, is it the case that if I install a PCI video card with only a single VGA port, the onboard adapter is disabled and I will be able to connect only one VGA monitor via the PCI card? If the onboard adapter is disabled does that mean it is using no power?

Thus to use two monitors, I need to install a dual output video card (or two single output cards)? Is the onboard video adapter also disabled/turned-off in this case?

This is not how it worked on my Win XP and Win 98 machines!

My experience on my new Win 7 machine is this: When I installed my old PCI single-VGA output video card, it worked only if I designated it in BIOS as the primary video adapter. The onboard adapter did not work and was not recognized in Device Manager. If I designated the onboard adapter as primary, it worked, but the PCI card did not, although it appeared in the Device Manager list of Display Adapters with a status of "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". Is this what is what I should have expected with WIn 7?

A further question about adequacy of a power supply: What symptom would you expect to see, after installing a video card, if the power supply is inadequate? Prior to buying a card, how does one determine if more power is needed and how much is needed? Video card specs say nothing about their power requirements.

Tutor
soulgraph
Message 7 of 8 (1,353 Views)

What power supply does your pc have now?

Top Student
DK_MT
Message 8 of 8 (1,318 Views)

It has a Bestec ATX-250-12Z power supply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation