Question

Honor Student
Hansen_1
Message 1 of 3 (1,350 Views)

Dual Monitor Issue: 2nd Display too large...can't adjust...web pages provide no scroll bars

I have two (2) HP S2031 LCD flat screen monitors.  They functioned perfectly with my old 32-bit machine (now gone).  I have just purchased a new 64-bit Windows 7 machine.  There are no error messages, but if I open a web page on the right (2nd) monitor, it does not display correctly.  It's as if it is a little too large.  I've tried adjusting the image using the Nividia software and using the monitor adjustments without improvement.  It is difficult getting out of that window because no scroll bars (vertical or horizontal) present themselves.  I am connecting through an iogear MiniView KVM switch to DVi-D sockets (with the four pins).  

Is it a 64-bit driver issue?   I think not, because display #1 looks fine.  Could it be an iogear KVM firmware issue?

I dug out the HP driver disks that came with my monitors and installed them.  After I did that, I realized these were a 32-bit installation.  Now the monitor resolution won't go back to the higher, recommended level.  I don't see the software installation on the "add/remove programs" listing.  I'd like to change that.

BUT THE REAL ISSUE is that I need BOTH monitors to be able to display proper aspect independently.  Remember, I've been through both the Nividia adjustments menu and the built-in monitor adjustments menu and found nothing that worked so far.

Please help if you can.  This is for my trading business and I need it desperately.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 3 (1,343 Views)

Re: Dual Monitor Issue: 2nd Display too large...can't adjust...web pages provide no scroll bars

[ Edited ]

When requesting assistance, please provide the brand and model name and/or product number of the computer in question. Without this information, it may be difficult or impossible to resolve your issue.

Have you swapped the two monitors to see if the problem follows the monitor or remains at the same location??? Try that first... if the problem follows the monitor, perform a hard reset by unpluging the monitor from power then holding the power button for 30 seconds. If the problem stays in the same location, you know both monitors are good and I would suspect the KVM isn't passing the "EDID" data to the computer. Removing the KVM should will tell you if this is the case.

Please post back with your troubleshooting results.

Please send KUDOs

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
Hansen_1
Message 3 of 3 (1,332 Views)

Re: Dual Monitor Issue: 2nd Display too large...can't adjust...web pages provide no scroll bars

Thank you for trying to help.  So far, we don't have a solution.  I swapped monitor cables and discovered that the problem followed the cable.  Honestly, I wasn't sure what you meant when you said "unplug the monitor..."  Did you mean unplug the VGA and hold down the power button, or did you mean unplug the power and then...   In any case, neither worked.

I then connected a cable directly from the PC to the problem monitor (by-passing the KVM) and got the same result...namely, the images extend beyond the range of the screen on the right such that no scroll bars are visible...nor are any of the typical size control buttons found in the upper right corner.  Why this monitor refuses to scale things properly is a mystery.  It worked properly with my previous computer.

May I bring up something else about the display?  I'm trading the forex market and I need readable charts.

I have tried adjusting the colors (as well as the image positioning) by using the Menu items built into the monitor, and also by using the controls made available by the Nividia Video card, but to no satisfactory avail.  If I get the desktop colors remotely acceptable, then the charts look washed out...fact is, I haven't gotten the charts into totally satisfactory viewing condition no matter what I've done so far.

I wonder if the new video card has anything to do with it?   By the way, this is not a "Brand" computer.  It was built by a computer geek in Cambridge, Mass.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation