Question

Honor Student
Uncle_Dave
Message 1 of 4 (21,352 Views)

Dual monitor problem -- can't get second monitor working

I have an s3500t with a 9500GS video card on Vista 64 Home Premium.  It has DVI-I and HDMI ports, plus there is a separate VGA port on the computer. 

I've tried attaching one monitor to the DVI port and the other to the VGA port.  I've tried using a DVI-I to DVI-D/VGA splitter cable.  Neither method lets me connect my second monitor.

Is there a way to get my second monitor to work from either the DVI splitter or VGA port? Or do I have to get an HDMI to DVI adaptor for the HDMI port? Or do I need a different video card?

Thanks!

Tutor
CdnGeo
Message 2 of 4 (19,935 Views)

Re: Dual monitor problem -- can't get second monitor working

Hi Dave....I have the same graphics card and the same 3 inputs on my Slimline. The HDMI and the DVI ports are part of the nVidia GeForce 9500 GS graphics card and the VGA port is part of the onboard graphics included in GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 Chipset. Because there is a graphics card installed, the VGA port is disabled.

The PC will only allow one graphics source at any given time therefore, you can use the onboard video which includes 1 VGA port(not recommended) or the nVidia GeForce 9500 GS graphics card add-on which includes the DVI and HDMI ports.

To use dual monitor, you must use the HDMI and the DVI port. You can purchase adapters to go from HDMI to VGA or DVI to VGA(this adapter was included with my PC). If you have difficulty locating HDMI to VGA, you can also use HDMI to DVI adapter and a DVI to VGA to VGA adapter.

A quick note, the BIOS default for the VIDEO card in set to PCI but you'll get much, much, much better performance if you change it to PCI-E. Do not use On-Board or you'll disable the 9500 GS and enable the on-board graphics (VGA port) only. I Hope this helps.

George

Master's Graduate
konk6i3
Message 3 of 4 (19,920 Views)

I have to question the ability to go from HDMI to VGA via adaptors. HDMI is based on the DVD-D standard, which is digital only. The DVI output from this card is DVI-I, which is a combination of digital and analog. So the only port available for VGA would be the DVI port. The HDMI port would drive only DVI or HDMI inputs.

Cheers,

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Honor Student
Uncle_Dave
Message 4 of 4 (19,906 Views)

This was some time ago. Since then, I got an HDMI to DVI adaptor and was able to connect my second monitor that way.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation