Question

Student
amazz58
Message 1 of 2 (1,792 Views)

Error "could not find any compatible Direct3D devices"

[ Edited ]

I have HP Media Center m7160n Desktop PC bought ~4-5yr ago.

Suddenly,  I started having trouble with screensaver which would not display properly.   I always used the default 'fish aquarium' screensaver which came with PC when I bought it.  And which has been running fine all these years.   When it stopped displaying, I went to control panel > display > screen saver.  The "aquarium" option is still in the pop-down list,  you can click on "settings" and all options are there - but when you try to do a preview it gives you error "could not find any compatible Direct3D devices".   Many of the screen savers do not work and have same error msg   eg.  space, nature, 3D pipes, Davinci, ect... screensavers all give errors.   But some work properly such as beziers, mistify, picture slideshow...

I have not changed any drivers, video, etc...   Using the default Intel video that came with PC: Intel 82945G Express Chipset.

I went through various websites to try and find error and ways to correct it - to no avail.   Removed screensaver files, reloaded..  Tried to check if scr file is corrupted.   Ran various tools to verify if harware had a problem. etc...  All seemed fine.

I finally ran dxdiag (DirectX diagnostic tool) since some websites suggested Direct3D may be due to driver issues. Dxdiag has about 8-tabs at top of page.  Only one tab (display) gave this msg

"No problems found.

Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer."  

Rest was all OK.

I tried updating video drivers (which does it directly from Intel website)  but you can't update direct via Intel website because it says they came from OEM which is HP.   Note that I always kept system up to date in terms of updates (except for stuff I don't use - such as some soft).  So I doubt they are not proper version.

Strangest thing:  I have 2 PCs that we bought at same time - they are both exact same model, same monitor, same config, etc...  One still works fine - other does not.    I checked both with DirectX diagnostic tool - and the other PC seems to have same config.  The only diff. is the PC does not have the error msg about Direct3D.   Everything else seems exactly the same.

I do not know where else to look-for or what to do.

Any ideas?

PS:  By the way, when I go into control panel > display > screen saver,  you pick "aquarium" and then if click on "settings" you can turn the 'audio ON'  (play sound).  When I do preview,  I can actually hear the water flowing - meaning that it does pick the proper screensaver, but it can't display it.

Note also that searching the web this error seems to occur with a variety of PCs,  various graphic adapters, and when running diff things (games, graphics soft, etc...).   Each one seem to have a diff. reason as to why it causes problem.

Tks, A.

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 2 (1,779 Views)

Re: Error "could not find any compatible Direct3D devices"

Amazz, it may be that the video chip has failed.  I suggest buying a standalone video card to see if that solves your problem.  The video card slot is a PCI Express x16.  It certainly can't hurt and it will boost system performance considerably.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!