Question

Student
vfd42
Message 1 of 13 (3,119 Views)

HP ENVY 700-000t multiple monitor setup

I have an hp envy 700-000t, and I want to setup up a second monitor. When the monitor is plgged in, my computer doesnt detect it, and it reads no signal. Is there a compatibility issue with my computer?

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 13 (3,117 Views)

Re: HP ENVY 700-000t multiple monitor setup

[ Edited ]

Hi,

It's a CTO machine therefore very hard to find its full specs:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03802497&lang=en&cc=us&taskI...

and:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03802497

The question: where do you plug the second monitor ? The following information may help:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SupportTaskIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodS...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Master's Graduate
ibfrenchy
Message 3 of 13 (3,086 Views)

Hey guys,

The options you have for this model are either 2 DVI ports on the motherboard.

if you added a video card you will have black caps on the DVI ports on the motherboard that say "Do Not Remove" on them. The do not remove is there for the reason that if you try to use them with the video card in the system, they won't work. You can either use video card or the on board video, you can't use both at the same time.

If you ordered a video card these were the options you had:

1GB AMD HD 8470[HDMI,DVI,VGA via Adapter]

4GB Nvidia GeForce GT640[DX11,DVI,DP,HDMI,VGA via adapter]

2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 645[DX11,DVI,DP,HDMI,DVI to VGA Dongle]

The letters in the brackets are what connectors you have, I also bolded them. If you are trying to use Two DVI ports, none of these cards have 2 ports. Also if you are trying to use DVI and VGA at the same time, you can't, all three cards use the DVI port to convter to VGA.

Hope that helps.

bill

I'm a HP employee
Honor Student
mattcmason
Message 4 of 13 (2,718 Views)

Re: HP ENVY 700-000t multiple monitor setup / crashes

I just purchased a brand-new HP Envy 700-074 series tower this past weekend to replace an HP All-in-One that was 3 years old and the CPU fan died on.

I figured that I would replace with top-of-the-line tower with dual-monitor set-up.  I selected this model because it has 12GB of RAM and a 2TB hard drive, along with a Gen 4 Intel i5 chipset.  For the monitors, I selected 2 LG 21.5" IPS LED widescreens.

My computer has the Intel HD on-board video card, so none of the AMD configurations apply.  I have 2 DVI outs on the back of my tower, one of which has the slot suitable for an AVG monitor converter (supplied in the tower accessories). 

My first problem was that the monitors both only came with AVG cables - I fixed that with a trip back to Best Buy where I got the setup and picked up 2 new DVI cables. 

However, the tower only recognizes one of these at a time, even when both are connected to the DVI outs on the back of the tower, whether connected with the AVG and adaptor or DVI cable.  Using the Windows 8 set-up screen, one monitor will be active at any given time, and if you select the wrong one, the screens will BOTH go dark.   The Windows 8 selection which would seem to indicate the traditional dual-screen (different content on each) set-up does nothing when selected.

How do I fix this?

My second problem is that when the computer is up and running and I go away from the keyboard for sufficient time for the computer to shut down the screens (approx 5 mins, give or take), when I come back and hit the keyboard to get the system to come back up - it tells me that the computer has crashed and recovered from it.  It also prompts me to send data to the "Windows-Improvement Reporting" or some such.

How can I get my computer to stop crashing?  Is this a uniquely-Windows 8 issue or is there some hardware issue associated.  I undoubtedly have loads of bloatware installed, and elected to NOT puchase the $99 Best Buy "tech help" which, the sales person suggested, would help me with "virus issues". 

I love the fact that I managed to get an excellent system on paper (Windows 8 will take some getting used to) but I need to get it up and running.

Suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Master's Graduate
ibfrenchy
Message 5 of 13 (2,708 Views)

Make sure there are no other cables on the back of your monitors. I've seen instances where you have two cables plugged into the same monitor and it won't show up.

but the fact that you have a crash and it says it has recovered - it may be a simple update to the graphics driver. Go into Device manager and right click the display adapter and update driver from there.

Also - if these suggestions don't work - what else do you have connected (printers etc) or loaded (other apps you may have installed). If you answer nothing... I won't believe you :smileywink:

good luck

bill

I'm a HP employee
Honor Student
mattcmason
Message 6 of 13 (2,696 Views)

Bill,

I have the new Windows 8 Op System.... where might I find the graphics driver, given the new navigation through the operating system?

Also, the only cables connected in the back were the power cable and the DVI cable.  I did have them plugged into both DVI ports on the back of the tower, but only one of them would "recognize" a monitor, I believe it was the first one (I'm traveling now so I can't go look).

What apps might be interfering with my attempt to attain the classic "Bloomberg" monitor setup?

Regards,
Matt M

Master's Graduate
ibfrenchy
Message 7 of 13 (2,691 Views)

What apps might be interfering with my attempt to attain the classic "Bloomberg" monitor setup?

process of elimination, reduction in the number of variables.

here is the HP.COM page with drivers for your PC on it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4132&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5371...

there are no updates to the graphics driver there, but use that for future reference, here is an FAQ on how to find updated drivers:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07165&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4132&product=5371...=

Following those instructions should help you locate an updated driver for the graphics chipset.

bill

I'm a HP employee
Honor Student
TM_38
Message 8 of 13 (2,559 Views)

Hi Bill,

So basically you are saying there is no way to connect teo monitors to this HP model? Is there a way to upgrade the video card to enable the use of two monitors with this model? If so, would it have to be a video card offered by HP or can you use another brand? Any assistance you can lend would be great.

Thanks,

Andromeda McKinney

Master's Graduate
ibfrenchy
Message 9 of 13 (2,544 Views)

TM_38,

you had written...

"So basically you are saying there is no way to connect teo monitors to this HP model?"

No idea where you got that from...

the model I'm guessing you are refering to is the 700-000t...it works fine.

This is a Configure to Order PC so if you put a video card in it, the two DVI ports on the Motherboard are covered up with black plastic covers that say "Do Not Remove" because on board video is disabled when you have a video card.

The capability of the system without a video card added to it, is simple - you have a DVI-I and DVI-D port, so you can plug in two monitors easy peasy lemon squeezy....

If you have a video card it would depend on the video card connections....

hope that clarifies.

good luck

bill

I'm a HP employee
Student
Vellos
Message 10 of 13 (2,257 Views)

Must be me, i just tried the lemon squeesy bit and it did not work, in fact i can only get 1 monitor to work from the DVI( I) connection rest of the connections do not operate any monitors.

I do have the 4mb video card and at the back is DVI x 2 hdmi x 2 no vga connector.

I have tried DVI(D) does not work

HDMI does not work

Where to next  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation