Question

Honor Student
ansielf
Message 1 of 19 (8,393 Views)

HP Envy Desktop h8-1414 PC, problem with replacing graphics card

Hi,

I have a new HP Envy Desktop h8-1414 PC.  I successfully replaced the power supply with a 400 watt one.

I purchased a Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB DDR5 HDMI / DVI-I / DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11202-00-20G and installed it.  However, when I turn the PC on again, the monitor does not receive a signal.

Any suggestions?  Do I need to plug the power supply into the 4 pronged connection in between the graphics card slot and the cpu?

Honor Student
ansielf
Message 2 of 19 (8,398 Views)

Re: HP Envy Desktop h8-1414 PC, problem with replacing graphics card

Fixed it!

Apparently Windows 8 BIOS has something called Secure Boot feature, which disables boot if a hardware change is detected.  So, before I changed the card, I had to go into BIOS, disable that, and enable Legacy Boot.  Can you say overkill?

But of course, to make matters worse, new HP Desktop's don't show the bios screen, so you have to press the F1 or F10 key on that split second where the screen is black, before the HP logo comes on.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 3 of 19 (8,363 Views)

Hi,

Yes you do need to connect the 4 pin ATX power connector to the motherboard.

Secure boot protects the hard drive boot records from being changed or corrupted by a virus or malware.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
JennyRed
Message 4 of 19 (8,285 Views)

I got my secure boot disabled but I see no option to enable legacy boot (compatibility mode). How did you do that
Top Student
JennyRed
Message 5 of 19 (8,289 Views)

And secure boot while protecting the mobo just takes away your right to upgrade, change or use your system as you see fit. It also pushes on competitors to meet their demands for the secure boot requirement and verified OS keys (which must be purchased). Go ask Linux how he feels about UEFI and Secure Boot.
Student
Synapse
Message 6 of 19 (8,239 Views)

Could you please tell me all the steps you did to install it and get it working? About 7 others and myself are trying to figure it out and cannot get it. Thanks so much!

Student
physicsx
Message 7 of 19 (7,953 Views)

I had a very similar problem with Hp envy Desktop h8 1420t

replaced the graphic card with a GTX 650ti (EVGA). the pc didn't boot just beeps and black screen

the problem is common in hp desktos with Win8  since hp disabled the hardware upgrates via secure boot.

when you try to disable the secure boot through bios it gives you a red warning screen telling that may computer may not boot never ever again

I was really angry with HP (and windows) for building such a anti end-user PC and   I was about the return the computer before the 21 day return period. but I decided to try my chanse. After several warning messages and a confirmation with a 4 digit password (created by the bios during one of the warning messages)  I was able to dissable the secure boot. enabled legacy mode.

then the pc booted with the new card without any problem.

I am very unhappy since I had to spend several hours to search for the solution just to replace the graphic card. I really wonder what will happen when I try to load linux to the system as a second OS (before 21 day period for sure).

Top Student
JennyRed
Message 8 of 19 (7,923 Views)

This unfortunately did not work for me. In the end of hours and hours of "support" for both HP & Microsoft all I had was a slow computer that I can't upgrade. The system cant run any of the graphics intense programs I use on a day to day basis. In the end I returned it for an Asus with an i7 processor, Windows 7 and a fully upgradable graphics card. 

Been happy ever since. 

Student
pyramidal
Message 9 of 19 (6,549 Views)

This worked for me with an older dual monitor card that kept setting off the beep of death.  It is ridiculous that they make the case so much easier than it used to be to allow replacement of cards and upgrades, and don't happen to mention this little bios thing. 

Oh well.  Thanks.

Once I have the legacy boot enabled and the secure boot disabled, and have installed the new video card, is it possible to go back to the secure boot?   I understand why it is there.

Top Student
3P1C_PH1L
Message 10 of 19 (6,031 Views)

Hello I was wondering if anyone is still talking about this. I bought my h8-1414 pc last thanksgiving and I haven't upgraded it any. I bought this pc for the purpose of gaming, and I've been very annoyed with the graphics card in this machine, the AMD Radeon HD 7450. I was wondering a few things:

#1: Can I fit an AMD Radeon HD 7850 into this PC?

#2: Do I need to upgrade my Power Supply Unit to run this card?

#3: If I disable secure boot and enable Legacy mode to install this new GPU, when I turn it on, can I re-activate secure boot?

Thank You,

3P1C_PH1L

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation