Question

Honor Student
DustDevilNM
Message 1 of 7 (1,417 Views)

HP Envy H8-1534

I am having problems installing a Nvidia (pny) 650 GTX onto my Envy H8-1534 system.  It has a spare pci-e power output (the Radeon 7750 doesnt use it) but when I power everything up I get long beeps from the pc with no signal displayed on my Monitor.  The motherboard is a AMD 970 Chipset and I never heard of them blocking other cards from displaying.  I tried to use another power supply as well Corsair CX 430 with the same results.   Just stick with an ATI/AMD graphics card?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 7 (1,403 Views)

Re: HP Envy H8-1534

[ Edited ]

Hi,

If your original power supply has a PCI-E power connector then it should be sufficient GTX 650. The Corsair CX430 would also be sufficient.

Review the below documents since your have a Windows 8 delivered PC in UEFI mode.  Basically you have to disable secure boot and enable legacy mode.  The beeps that you are experiencing are probably pre-video initialization errors.

HP Secure Boot Windows 8 Topics    Computer Does not Start After Installing a Video Card (Windows 8)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
DustDevilNM
Message 3 of 7 (1,396 Views)

That worked perfectly thank you very much.  Never heard of such a thing and I am pretty techy.

Honor Student
sailorsub54
Message 4 of 7 (848 Views)

Please, can you help me. I have the same computer with about the same problem; but I think I made a mistake and don't know how to correct it.  1. I don't have the original graphics card, AMD Radeon 7570.  I sold it when I bought a EVGA GEFORCE 660 FTW and installed it after I went into the UEFI and changed the settings to Legacy Mode instead of Secure Boot.  Every thing has been working fantastic for 3 months now until  four days ago I was thinking about computer security so I went back to UEFI settings and changed back to Secure Boot. My computer booted once more and now, not at all. Tried pressing the F 10 key and the ESC key; no video. I get a buzzing beep noise and a blinking power button with a yellow/amber light about 3 times; also, I noticed some hard drive activity during this time only, nothing after that.

Please help me if you can, this has been a great computer and I don't want to scrap it.

Thanks.

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 5 of 7 (806 Views)

Hi sailorsub54. If you have the HP Envy H8-1534 like the thread title, then this document will walk you through the steps to determine the issue. Let me know how it goes.

Computer Does Not Start (Windows 8):
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03513214&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc...

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
sailorsub54
Message 6 of 7 (794 Views)

Thank You for helping.  My monitor is fine, tried it connected to another computer.

Here is what happens: I start my computer then I press the ESC key to access the bios; I immediately get a flashing amber/yellow light on the "round" power button with 4  beeps/buzzes. This is the "only" time this happens. If I start my computer and do not press the ESC key, then I get no beeps or flashing amber light on the power button and no video, but shows some signs of hard drive activity then nothing. Another thing I would like to point out is I bought the computer new from Best Buy a little over 3 months ago still in box, not a floor model. I noticed after I got it home and booted it up that the processor that was reported as installed was a AMD FX  6350 which is a faster CPU than the advertised on the box CPU, an  AMD FX  6200. Was this a special gift from HP to me because I just happened to be at the right place at the right time, or a possible problem down the road. I did some research on AMD's site and the AMD FX  6350 CPU is faster but consumes almost twice the power as the FX  6200.    I do thank you for all of your help and any further assistance will be greatly appreciated.

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 7 of 7 (778 Views)

Hi sailorsub54. That is certainly a strange issue if the LED/buzzing only happens when you try to enter the BIOS.

It is interesting to note the blink/buzz code refers to the power supply (4).
Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code: Beep and LED code descriptions /Flashing light codes
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07107&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=5331402#N331
So based on that you cannot even access your BIOS which is a problem in and of itself.

If you look at the "Processor upgrade information" the list doesn't mention the "AMD FX 6350" that you have. That is curious as well, but it was working, and it is a better processor than the default so I don't have anything to add regarding that.
Motherboard Specifications, M3970AM-HP (Angelica2)
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03353629&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en...

If this document doesn't help, and you cannot get any display you may have to get the notebook serviced. Let me know how this goes.
Computer Starts but Monitor Remains Blank (Windows 8):
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03518095&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc...

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation