Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello.  I recently lost the external power supply to my HP Pavilion 22xi.  HP doesnt' seem to sell replacements.  I'm wondering however, if a laptop power supply is just basically the same thing and would work just as well?

Here is the dilema, before I go plugging one in.  On the monitor, it says that it's 12volt, but when I look around the internet I see that replacement power supplies for the 22xi are listed as 19v.  HP power supplies do come in both 12v and 19v.  Which one to get? 

E-bay has lots of generic Chinese power supplies for dirt cheap but I have yet to see a real HP for the 22xi  (new or used) one listed on e-bay.

I'd like to know exactly what to get because as you know power supplies are pretty expensive and I don't want to blow up my lovely IPS monitor.

So if I get an equavelant what should the voltage be?  What should the wattage be rated at?  How many Amps or mA's should it output.  I'm guessing 12v 45watt 3.5 to 4.5 Amps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello again. 

I did a little bit of research and it turns out that the power supply that HP has listed for the Pavilion 22xi "700393-001  A/C Adapter - 40Watt/19V - Liteon" is wrong.  This is only for the larger 24" displays of the same model type.  I'm not sure if it would damage the monitor to plug this in as it may have voltage regulators to prevent such damage, but the 22xi only runs on 12 volts and it would be wise to stick to the correct  power supply as indicated on the monitor itself.

I actually did find one on e-bay for £6.45 shipped.   The one I found was 5 amps/60 watts but any 3 or 4 amp / 40 watt 12 volt supply should do the trick. 

You don't have to worry about getting a power supply which outputs more amps than the device says it's requires as the device will only draw enough current to run the device.  So investing in a 5 or 6 amp power supply when you only require 3 will usually mean that the power supply will be less stressed and may run cooler.  When in doubt, always match the exact voltage and you'll be safe.  If the power supply does not have enough amps to power the device, it will simply not work.  So investing in a power supply with lots of amps may actually be handy in future to power something else.

The barell size of the plug should be 5.5mm x 2.5mm with centre pin positive (most are centre positive). 

Hope this helps someone get their monitor back up and running!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Please see HP Partsurfer - HP PAVILION 22XI 21.5-INCH DIAGONAL IPS LED BACKLIT MONITOR which indicates that "700393-001  A/C Adapter - 40Watt/19V - Liteon" is the required part. Please order the part from the HP Parts Store.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Hello Frank.  thanks for the help.. much appreciated.   I wonder why it's a 19v adapter, when the monitor itself says that it takes 12 volts?

Anyway, do you know what tip HP uses on the end of their power supplies, because I can see power supplies on e-bay that have this spec for £5.99 shipped.  I don't think I'm paying HP £27.44 for a power supply. 

thanks,

Grant

HP Recommended

Hello again. 

I did a little bit of research and it turns out that the power supply that HP has listed for the Pavilion 22xi "700393-001  A/C Adapter - 40Watt/19V - Liteon" is wrong.  This is only for the larger 24" displays of the same model type.  I'm not sure if it would damage the monitor to plug this in as it may have voltage regulators to prevent such damage, but the 22xi only runs on 12 volts and it would be wise to stick to the correct  power supply as indicated on the monitor itself.

I actually did find one on e-bay for £6.45 shipped.   The one I found was 5 amps/60 watts but any 3 or 4 amp / 40 watt 12 volt supply should do the trick. 

You don't have to worry about getting a power supply which outputs more amps than the device says it's requires as the device will only draw enough current to run the device.  So investing in a 5 or 6 amp power supply when you only require 3 will usually mean that the power supply will be less stressed and may run cooler.  When in doubt, always match the exact voltage and you'll be safe.  If the power supply does not have enough amps to power the device, it will simply not work.  So investing in a power supply with lots of amps may actually be handy in future to power something else.

The barell size of the plug should be 5.5mm x 2.5mm with centre pin positive (most are centre positive). 

Hope this helps someone get their monitor back up and running!

HP Recommended

Hello Granta. I think I'm having problems with my power supply to my Pavilion 22xi monitor also. I've been having trouble trying to find a good replacement for it. Can you give me any detailed specs on the one you found? I was hoping to find an exact match with another made by LiteOn, but haven't been able to. My existing power supply is a LiteON Model # PA-1041-71. I've found one on Amazon made by a company called UpBright, which seems to make a variety of replacement power supplies. I found another on EBay, but they don't say who the manufacturer is. They both cost about $20 plus about $6 for shipping to my home in Ohio in the US. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here's the specific discussion I had on the nature of my problem:

Pavilion 22xi monitor repetedly turing itself off

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.