Question

Honor Student
BigBrizk
Message 1 of 10 (1,053 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion w2216h Monitor Repeating Problems...

Hello I own a HP Pavilion w2216h Monitor. This is the second one i own. The first one had almost the same problem as the one i have now... but since it was on warranty i was sent this new one. Now it is acting up just like the old one. I think there is a underlining fault with this monitor but i am not sure.

The problem with the monitors is almost the same.

The first monitor would have its color distorted and lines of this purple/reddish/brownish go across it, I don't remember if it was vertical or horizontal. It doesnt matter since it was covered by warranty and i got this new monitor sent to me. Same model.

For the second monitor, the screen gets very white then slowly goes into black. The colors seem to fade and melt into each other. If left to take its course, ends with the screen going black with hints of white and other colors in random places.

Here's the Info...

HP Pavilion w2216h Monitor

HP Desktop running Windows 7 Home 64-bit

Video card is a Nvidia Geforce 9800GT

There is a DVI connected to the VGA cable. That connects the monitor to the video card.

Here's what i have done and checked so far...

I have checked the video card thoroughly, drivers are updated and installed. Works well with 2 other monitors of different brand and size. There is no overheating of any kind and the DVI connector works fine. So the problem isnt with the video card. I have checked all cables! Swapped out cables and tightened, loosed then tightened again to make sure.

Recap. The computer is good, the video card is good, the DVI connector is good, the VGA cable is good. That leaves the monitor to blame. Now heres the question is it broken? Or can i fix this? Also am i the only person with this problem? If not please reply, cause i have a feeling this is a recurring problem for a lot of people who own this product. Thank you for your time.

Student
go4it58
Message 2 of 10 (1,021 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion w2216h Monitor Repeating Problems...

I just had my w2216h monitor go completely white. It is 3 years old and had started having problems for month where the white would start at the bottom of the screen and move up. Turning the monitor off and on worked for a while, but not anymore.

BIG question, what is wrong? can it be fixed? What would be the cost?

Honor Student
Rockets1995
Message 3 of 10 (877 Views)

I have the same problem with my HP w2216h. I can get it back by tapping on the screen, so I think there is a loose connection or a cold solder joint. I am not sure where to start with fixing this.

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 4 of 10 (873 Views)

Hello Rockets1995,

If the screen is white this usually tells me that it's a loose connection. If you are still within warranty then you can start there.

If you are not in warranty and you want to try a self repair then you can go that route as well. If you open the monitor up there will be a small ribbon cable that is connecting the screen to the board, this cable is likely loose and is not connected firmly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Honor Student
Rockets1995
Message 5 of 10 (864 Views)

Well I did take the monitor apart and I found what looked like a possible cold solder joint. I did not have a soldering iron available , so I just sqeezed the connection with a pair of small needle nose plyers. I also make sure the ribbon cable was solidly seated. So far so good, as this seemed to have solved the problem.

Regards,

Bill R

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 6 of 10 (855 Views)

Glad to hear. Solder joints can cause the issue as well, but usually from what I've seen it has been the ribbon cable because it can come jarred loose. At least it's up and running again for you though :smileyhappy:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Honor Student
Rockets1995
Message 7 of 10 (849 Views)

I am not finding where to "Accept as Solution" on your post.
Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 8 of 10 (842 Views)

No worries. You won't be able to mark the post as Accept as Solution. Only the original poster or a moderator can now mark the post as solved. Since you tagged onto this thread and it wasn't your own thread then you won't be able to mark it as solved.
- Friendship is magical.
Honor Student
BigBrizk
Message 9 of 10 (833 Views)

It took a year but someone finally answered my question. The monitor has been collecting dust in my basement since. I forgot to mention in my original post but tapping the monitor temporally fixed my problem as well so it must be a loose wire in mine as well. Thank you for the tip I will attempt a self repair soon.
Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 10 of 10 (830 Views)

Hello BigBrizk,

I'd apoligize for not getting to your post sooner, but a year ago I didn't exist on these forums. I was only able to see the post because of it being brought back to life because of the new user.

Start with the ribbon cable if that isn't the cause then you might want to check the solder joints like Rockets1995 did.
- Friendship is magical.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation