Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Here is the latest on this issue.

The problem is with the monitor and it need a firmware update which is currntly under development.

If you wish to have a solution now please contact HP support at 1-800-334-5144. 

The Workstation Monitor support agents know the exact procedure to get your issue fixed.

HP Recommended

I followed your advice and called HP Support - the monitor support agent didn't know about the issue and could not help to ressolve it.

Can you please post the workaround / solution the agent should know?

HP Recommended

Same issue here, did receive a new display port cable, but it did not solve the problem.

Waiting for additional solutions from our sales rep.

Would be interested in receiving other advice from this board.

HP Recommended

We have been fighting this issue for several months during our deployment of Windows 7 while refreshing our hardware.  According to HP the issue is caused by the sound which is trying to pass through the display port cable.  This doesn't occur on all the monitors as the 22" monitors work fine for us.  The solution has been to simply use a display port to dvi cable on the primary monitor while the secondary simply runs off the VGA connection.  Our HP contact said they are working on a bios update to correct this problem so hopefully it will be out soon.  It would really be nice if the monitor manufacturers started providing the daisy chaining capability on their monitors so we wouldn't have to go through all these hoops for multiple monitor outputs.  As a side note, these slimline docks have caused us more headaches that any of the other docks since we moved to the Elite models starting back with the 30 series laptops. 

HP Recommended

I can hereby confirm that the underlying issue is related to the DP cable.

We have finally received a third cable from HP, and this one works.

For your info, the cable part number is as follow: 729896-001.

It also has a special tag on one end indicating that side of the cable should be connected to the ZR2740w monitor.

Hope this info will help you follow-up with this issue with HP in a proactive manner.

HP Recommended

I can confirm, that at the end the cable was replaced with the one with the part number (729896-001) and since then display is working as expected.

Took me 3 days in total to get the issue resolved and have learned my lesson for the future.

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

I'm having the exact same problem, and I am on the line with the HP support. They are looking up for the cable. But the representative is making a lot of checks, and it would greatly accelerate if someone could post the support case number they used when this cable was sent ?

Thanks a bunch.

X.

HP Recommended

I am having the very same problem, I tested with 2 diferent sets of Monitor/UB/Dock  even with the leatest Bios updates.  Sound doesn't work also when monitor is connected to dock's DP.

Calling HP tech support to get cable replacement. Will post my findings

BR

Joseph

HP Recommended
Cable 729896-001 arrived yesterday. It works fine. Just for the record, issue happens with either windows 7 and 8.
HP Recommended

Thanks for all the help folks - just spent a completely wasted call with a support rep who won't even acknowledge the cable thing. Tell me I have to try WIndows 7 or sign up for driver alerts so when a new driver appears I can upgrade. He just completely ignored the references to this thread and focused on the OS because the 2740 driver only goes up to Win 7 - despite the fact that people in this thread have proven it's a cable issue.

Spent an hour+ with someone last week who sent me a new docking station.

So let's do some math:

VGA port on dock to 2740 - works. Not the best quality but works.

Displayport on dock to other monitor - works

Displayport on dock to 2740 - does not work

Displayport on Revolv 810 to 2740 - works

Support rep's conclusion, I need to go back to Windows 7.

My conclusion? Buying this stuff was a mistake - about to be corrected.

Why is HP losing market share?

Oh I dunno - maybe because the next laptop order for us is going to be  Lenovo.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.