Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Ran into this issue as well. Fixed the problem by disabling the monitor connect to the DP as a playback device in 'Sound' in control panel. Not an HP issue at all IMO - thats why some monitors/cables cause this problem and others don't (they're trying to pass sound to the monitor, disabling the sound ports on the computer).

HP Recommended

Please be aware that the "729896-001 SPS-ASSY cable DP with AUX-N cable" is NOT to address display issues with the 2013 Ultraslim Docking Station with 2 DisplayPort ports on the back. 

It won't cause any new problems with the ZR2740w, but it won't resolve issues specific to the ZR2740w with the 2013 - 2 DP port dock.

This new dock uses an internal firmware to control the DP ports, and does not have the DP re-driver of the older Ultraslim Docking Station with 1 DP port.

Also, for the customer using the HP Folio 9470m with the new 2013 Ultraslim Docking Station:

The Intel HD graphics controller in that year did not support DP 1.2 MST mode; therefore, extended desktop mode will not work.  It is limited to clone mode or "stretch mode" by increasing the resolution above the native resolution of the connected displays.

Newer platforms such as the HP 9480m, Zbook 14, 850/840/820 G1 and G2 and later do support DP 1.2 MST mode.

See PPT slide# 14 for details:

http://www.vesa.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/DisplayPort-DevCon-Presentation-DP-1.2-Dec-2010-rev-2...

Regards.

HP Recommended

Thanks RichardJS.

Since HP's cable is bloody expensive and actually hard to come by (at least where I live), you can add the pull-up inside the monitor itself. This allows it to work with any DP cable. The pull-up that worked for me was 10k (even if the specs say it should be 100k - I tried and the monitor wasn't detected). Solder it between C278 (it's connected to DP pin 17, AUXn) and unfitted nearby resistor that goes to DP pin 20 (3.3V power).

There is a side effect, though, the yellow LED keeps blinking indefinitely. Fixed this with electrical tape, since the power LED was too bright anyway.

Like this: http://imgur.com/QInEpj5

HP Recommended

You might be my hero! Do you by chance have a link to instructions how to get inside the thing? No I haven't searched for anything yet; I was too excited to see this possible fix for the stupid ZR2740 resolution issue. I haven't soldered in a few years, but I'm sure as heck going to give it a shot. Thank you!

HP Recommended

@gravman wrote:

You might be my hero! Do you by chance have a link to instructions how to get inside the thing? No I haven't searched for anything yet; I was too excited to see this possible fix for the stupid ZR2740 resolution issue. I haven't soldered in a few years, but I'm sure as heck going to give it a shot. Thank you!

Did you happen to figure this out? I've got an HP ZR2740W and a HP Prodesk 400 g2 mini. The Prodesk only has VGA and displayport but I'm having issues with the monitor waking from low power mode. I'm hoping this added resistor would solve the problem. Alternatively, I'll buy the HP cable if I know it will actually solve my issue.

HP Recommended

No, I never did. I ended up getting the stupid cable from some online scumbag retailer. The cable seemed to work ok, but when I tried to remove it from the monitor it got stuck and I basically had to cut it out of there. And yes I know how to remove cables that clip in. The stupid thing wouldn't let go no matter what I did or how many different ways I tried to push that stupid button. ITpartshelp was where I got it, because they had the best price. Don't buy anything from them.

HP Recommended

@gravman wrote:

No, I never did. I ended up getting the stupid cable from some online scumbag retailer. The cable seemed to work ok, but when I tried to remove it from the monitor it got stuck and I basically had to cut it out of there. And yes I know how to remove cables that clip in. The stupid thing wouldn't let go no matter what I did or how many different ways I tried to push that stupid button. ITpartshelp was where I got it, because they had the best price. Don't buy anything from them.

That's unfortunate, sorry to hear that. I found the cable on HP's store and even though it was expensive, it was still less than most online retailers.  I feel like it's a product that should probably have been shipped with the monitor, given that it corrects a decision that was made with the manufacturing process of the monitor itself...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.