HP m9040n with GeForce 8400 GS (509 Views)
Honor Student
captkarma
Message 1 of 3 (509 Views)

HP m9040n with GeForce 8400 GS

Cross posting on Hardware group too. 

Have m9040n as subject line states, this unit comes with a GeForce 8400 GS graphics card and I wanted to upgrade to a GeForce 240 with 1 Gig of DDR3 memory.  Got a Galaxy brand card and it states on the box the requirement of a minimum 300 Watt power supply but when calling the company because the fan didn't run they told me that I really need a 450 Watt power supply.  Has anyone upgraded their power supply to be able to use a higher graphics card?  Or has anyone here been able to upgrade their graphics card over the GeForce 8400GS card.  Looking for graphics which will make game playing much better.

Thanks

Associate Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 3 (504 Views)

Re: HP m9040n with GeForce 8400 GS

Here is the link to the specifications of GeForce GT 240:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gt_240_us.html

Click on Specifications tab and scroll down to Thermal and Power Specs...it states that this video card needs only 300W power supply.

Your unit m9040n comes with 300W power supply....you should be able to use this video card on your Pavilion desktop without any issues.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Honor Student
BobF1
Message 3 of 3 (114 Views)

Re: HP m9040n with GeForce 8400 GS

Yes, I upgraded to 450 watt- cost me $92 at my Computer store, where I have an office for my company. All had problems with that driver for the GEFORCE 8400 GS. Note my message below:

OK, it's murder. I've been through it all. MS, HP, and even driver FREE software will continually overlay your drivers that work. It's frustrating. It will even bring your system down and damage your PC and lose your restore ability. It's really bad. What happens is MS constantly, like now, gets NVIDIA drivers for Win8, 7, and Vista, XP, etc., and then doesn't make them always back compatible. Since HP makes gazillion different models, it's hurting HP's reputation.

Here's a way out. Go and stop MS from updating, check the updates, and don't do NVIDIA. After you find the right driver, do a hard restore in case. Do a protection for user and not with administrator login to protect yourself. With me, I finally got tired of it all and use a common VGA driver with my HD Samsung and, though at a lower level of res, 1024 x 800 and a slightly distorted in width, I get use to it. I'm bypassing the features of the GEFORCE 8400 GS but then again I just use it for backups. Anything getting over 3 years old in hardware, watch out. I think they do this on purpose sometimes to get you to buy a new PC and their new OS's all the time. http://eprocs.com

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation