HP w2207h 1680x1050 HDMI monitor (901 Views)
Honor Student
JRTX
Message 1 of 5 (901 Views)

HP w2207h 1680x1050 HDMI monitor

[ Edited ]

I also have an HP w2207h 1680x1050 HDMI monitor and just purchased an HP p6710f Desktop.  I am interested in adding an HDMI discrete video card for the monitor, as the VGA is not good enough for videos in full screen mode because they pixilate.

I need to know three things for the HDMI card:

1.  According to the specifications for my computer, my video is expandable to HDMI via a PCI Express X16 slot.  I've looked at the HDMI cards on NewEgg.com and their specs. & prices are all over the place, from about $100 to over $900.  How do I know which one to order?  The cards also appear to require two (2) expansion slot covers to be removed in the back of the computer.  The cards have differing amounts of video RAM and different speed video graphic processors.  Does any of this effect which HDMI card I can use?  I paid particular attention to the ASUS HDMI cards.  A couple of those cards cost MORE than the computer itself!

2.  Must I really replace the Power Supply in order to install an HDMI card?  This seems crazy!  My computer is not even a month old.  Aside from not being able to do this myself, would this not void the factory warranty?  What size power supply should I get, especially considering that I also want to take the computer RAM to 16 Gigs and install a second hard drive?

3.  Will hooking up the HDMI card to the monitor deactivate (cancel out) the audio built into the motherboard or just enable the 2 additional speakers built into the monitor?  A friend of mine bought an enhanced video card for his HP computer and it disabled his sound.  He had to return to video card.  I've already had to buy an Altec/Lansing powered speaker system for this computer because the speakers in the monitor would not work with the computer's VGA port.

Thanks In Advance,

Jack

Honor Student
GailMK
Message 2 of 5 (880 Views)

Re: HDMI Monitor

Jack,

I don't know if your questions will be addressed by replying to my subject.  I know very little about computers and nothing about graphics cards.

You might want to post a message and ask your questions there.  Perhaps someone will help answer your questions.

Gail

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 3 of 5 (875 Views)

[ Edited ]

Jack,

Many of the ranking members will not recommend the installation of a discrete video card for your particular needs when the p6710f only has a 250 watt power supply.

Some discrete video cards take up two positions on the back I/O plate and some don't.

The size of a replacement power supply should be associated with the power requirements of the video card.  A 500 watt power supply should be adequate unless you intend on buying a high powered video card.

The installation of a discrete video card will automatically deactivate the on board video processor.

You should be able to get the monitors speakers to work using an analog video cable (use a Y adapter) when you are using other speakers.  If you don't have other speakers and just the monitor speakers then HDMI can be used to route the audio to your monitor's speakers.

If you can't change out the power supply yourself, then talk with a local PC repair shop about the cost to have it done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
JRTX
Message 4 of 5 (748 Views)

[ Edited ]

Dear Big_Dave,

Thanks so much for your reply and advice.  I suppose the only remaining questions I have are:

1.  Does having a shop replace the 250W power supply with a 500W one void my HP warranty, as mine is only a month old?  BTW, why did HP build this computer with an inferior power supply for its upgrade capabilities!?

2. How do I assess which HDMI Card to purchase?  The ones I saw on NewEgg.com all seemed to show a 2-slot interface. Naturally, if I am going to go through this "surgery," I would prefer the best bang for the buck!

3. I also plan on maxing out the ram to 16G, so will the 500W power supply still be sufficient for it and the HDMI card?

Jack

{Personal Information Removed}

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 5 of 5 (735 Views)

Jack,

HP uses a power supply that will supply enough power for a maximum model build out to HP's maximum configuration. That means if your order your PC with all of the possible options, the power supply should have enough power.

I am not going to speak about HP's warranty policy other than to say if the modifications are not approved by HP then perhaps your warranty might not be valid.

The Corsair CX500 power supply should fit your needs. The NVIDIA GTS450 is a good mid-range video card with DirectX 11 support. Open up your PC and make sure that the slot adjacent to the PCI-E x16 slot is vacant.

Review the ATI and NVIDIA performance specifications. Look at the memory bandwidth specifications and the DirectX level support.

How to replace a power supply.

How to replace a video card.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation