Question

Student
alembician
Message 1 of 6 (1,672 Views)

Hello all,

I have a HP w2408 monitor and it blew up the other night.  It only displays a white screen now. I emailed HP and got this.

"Robert, it seems that the monitor hardware has malfunctioned (burnt out) and the monitor needs to be replaced. But as the database shows the monitor to be out of warranty I would recommend you to contact the nearest computer store in your area to replace the monitor."

I kinda want to try and salvage the monitor.  Does anyone know if I can buy a replacement part to fix this problem?  Also, price-wise, am I just better off buying a new monitor?

Thanks,

Bobby

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 6 (1,665 Views)

Re: HP w2408

Bobby, first, monitor repair is not a recommended DIY project.  Therefore, it will cost you the normal shop rate ($65+ per hour in my area), plus parts.  This can add up very quickly.  I would check with local computer repair stores to see what they say.  However, I believe that you will find it cheaper to buy a new monitor.  Not only will it be new, but it will be far more technologically advanced.

This is my $.02.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 6 (1,567 Views)

Re: HP w2408h

I have an HP w2408H monitor that I purchased about 18 months ago. Recenty, I noticed a vertical thin green line on the screen that will not go away. Is there a solution to removing the line or must I replace the monitor with a different brand of monitor?

Please advise.

Student
Hankbum
Message 4 of 6 (956 Views)

I know it's over a year but if you still have the monitor I am looking for a replacement pedestal stand for my HP w2408.  Perhaps I could buy yours?

Thanks

Teacher
blargg
Message 5 of 6 (944 Views)

Re: HP w2408h

If you have any horizontal or vertical lines that overlay everything and perhaps only appear after the monitor has been on for a while, and the monitor is out of warranty, the do-it-yourself fix is to open the monitor and put some kind of foam or other padding material into the edge of the LCD panel where the ribbon cable connects to the glass, so that it presses it against it more. These lines are usually caused by this coming un-stuck from the glass very slightly in some part. Heat can cause it to vary how un-stuck it is, which is why the lines might appear only after it's been on for a while.

I recommend the badcaps.net forums if you're trying to do LCD monitor repair, as there are many knowledgable people there to help.

Tutor
gary-1955
Message 6 of 6 (913 Views)

I have the same monitor and it still works (KOW).

it does have a piece of what looks like foam spacer that hangs down in the upper right side of the screen between the screen and the black frame.  it's not a big deal. I didn't even notice it for about 2-1/2 years. I was wondering how to open the case and reposition the spacer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation