Question

Top Student
siouxllee
Message 1 of 8 (48,180 Views)

Hooking up TV to computer using HDMI cable

I am having a problem hooking up my tv to the computer via HDMI.  I cannot get the computer to allow me to add and/or edit monitor choices.  I have system do automatic detection and it does not find it.  It also will not allow me to force it to read the tv hookup.  My HDMI connection is located on the back of my monitor on the computer, not on the computer itself.  Also have HDMI connection on tv which I have set up to read HDMI 1.  Anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Thank you

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 8 (48,126 Views)

Re: Hooking up TV to computer using HDMI cable

Siouxllee, here is a link to a HOWTO that just may help you:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4457043_connect-pc-hdmi-tv.html

It should help you determine if you have done everything correctly.

Good luck!

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 8 (48,058 Views)

Thank you.  I believe I went to that website and follow the procedures but still to no avail.  I went to the local Office Depot and I went on their computer and show the tech exactly what I was doing, step by step.  Their computer at the store showed the same problem, the field where you uncheck the selection for single display will not allow me to do that even though I check "multiple monitors"....it is weird. Will not allow me to force detect either......
Top Student
siouxllee
Message 4 of 8 (48,055 Views)

Hi old_geekster....listen, one thing I have forgotten to mention.  My computer has the "HDMI" port on the back of the computer monitor itself.....nothing in the back of the computer.  Does this make a difference?  I was attempting to run the HDMI cable from back of the computer monitor to the Toshiba Regza TV which has the HDMI port.  I am totally "locked" up on this one.

Any advice or comments are welcome.  I feel like an idiot!

Thanks everyone for their help.

Provost
old_geekster
Message 5 of 8 (48,040 Views)

Siouxllee,  I wish I could be of more assistance.  However, I am not that sasvy on HDMI connections.  Hopefully, someone who knows more will see your thread.

Good luck!

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 6 of 8 (48,010 Views)

Thank you anyways....gonna try it the old fashion way I guess.  You've been a great support forum.
Student
MrsSwordman5K2U
Message 7 of 8 (36,639 Views)

If you're trying to stream from an HDMI on the back of your monitor instead of your video card, it isn't going to work. The HDMI port on your monitor is strictly a receiving port for your current monitor. You need either a DVI or HDMI port on the video card in your computer. Even if you have integrated graphics on your mother board you will need either a DVI or HDMI port on the computer itself. You can get cables and adaptors that will allow you to hook up to a DVI port on the computer and take it to the HDMI port on your computer.

The following article is talking about streaming Netflix, but should work just for any kind of stream from your computer to your TV. http://www.wikihow.com/Watch-Netflix-Watch-on-Online-on-Your-TV

I would ignore all the chatter about high def crt etc since you only need to know the part about hooking up while both systems are off, and turning on to complete the connection. If you have an older version of windows you will need additional information to complete the setup such as this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4457043_connect-PC-hdmi-tv.html

Step 4 is pretty much what you want.

Although the advice about upgrading your video card might possibly be relevant for you, that's up to you.

Student
Message 8 of 8 (18,475 Views)

siouxllee wrote:

I am having a problem hooking up my tv to the computer via HDMI.  I cannot get the computer to allow me to add and/or edit monitor choices.  I have system do automatic detection and it does not find it.  It also will not allow me to force it to read the tv hookup.  My HDMI connection is located on the back of my monitor on the computer, not on the computer itself.  Also have HDMI connection on tv which I have set up to read HDMI 1.  Anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation