Question

Top Student
JAR1969
Message 1 of 6 (673 Views)

How to connect HP Pavilion to HD TV as monitor

Bought an HP Pavilion P6204Y approx Dec 2009. Would like to attach the PC to my Panasonic TV as it's monitor (just got rid of cable). PC only has VGA & S out. TV only has S and HDMI in. YouTube says to use DVI to HDMI. Can I add DVI to this PC or am I stuck with VGA to HDMI, or :smileysad: S to S....are those 2 choices even viable and would the picture quality be any good with either of those options? I have rarely used my PC (prefer laptop for everyday use) and would hate to have to buy a new PC. Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance for any help, advice, guidance, etc. 

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 6 (661 Views)

Re: How to connect HP Pavilion to HD TV as monitor

[ Edited ]

JAR1969, welcome to the forum.

You can add DVI to the computer, but it means adding a new dedicated video card.  Since most newer mid-level cards require at least 350W to 400W to operate properly, a new power supply unit (PSU) would be necessary.  

I like OCZ and Corsair PSU's.  Either will provide you with clean, stable power.  Be certain that the PSU that you choose has the appropriate PCI Express power cables to power the card if necessary.

I like XFX, EVGA, Sapphire and PNY video cards in that order.  This is due to many years using different brands and frequenting enthusiast forums.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe - i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 6 (655 Views)

Thank you! I will (hopefully) select the correct equipment...I'm not very computer savvy anymore...fingers crossed!
Provost
old_geekster
Message 4 of 6 (646 Views)

JAR1969, if you reqire further help with your selection of components let me know.  I will be glad to assist you.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe - i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 5 of 6 (604 Views)

old_geekster, I'm not having any luck finding what I need. There are just far to many choices and I have no way of knowing for sure if they're compatible with my existing system. The only thing I know for sure right now is that I will have to get a new power supply. Which now means I have to choose another piece of equipment that I have no idea if it will be compatible either! Lol my head just hurts with trying to figure this out lol.

Is there anything out there that I can put my current computer model into and have it tell me what exactly what world 100% work with my PC? I fear that anything I buy will not be compatible - such is my luck...or should I say curse. It seems my logic is off.
Master's Graduate
spacechild
Message 6 of 6 (589 Views)

Hello JAR1969!: I have a Pavilion 410y which I have connected to a 2007 model Samsung TNT 1954 LCD TV via the VGA port on the back & DVI on the back of an AMD|ATI Radeon HD 5570 video card

it's pretty good

I'm  wondering perhaps you can get  a VGA to HDMI cable at your local PC shop

spacechild

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation