Question

Tutor
Mark14
Message 1 of 18 (22,113 Views)
Accepted Solution

Installing Multimedia Audio Controller

I recently received a new, used computer from a school that wiped everything clean from the pc.  The desktop PC is

an HP Compaq dc5100.  I installed Windows XP Professional 2003 on it.   I updated most/all of the drivers on it, except, when I go to Device Manager, I see that there is a yellow Exclamation mark next to OTHER DEVICES.   Under this heading, there is another yellow mark next to "Multimedia Audio Controller."

Now, I tried to right click on it and do an 'update driver;' however, it came back with an error that said, "The hardware was not installed because the wizard  cannot find  the necessary  software."   I then put the installation disk in and tried to load it from there, but received the same error.

I then uninstalled it, then rebooted the system, thinking that it may recognize this and install it, but that didn't fix it either.

What else can I try?

Mark

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 18 (22,104 Views)

Re: Installing Multimedia Audio Controller

[ Edited ]

Hi, Mark:

I would suggest trying the XP driver from your PC's support and driver page. which I have posted at the link below.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

For the other device, please click on it in the device manager. Then click on the details tab. Post the top string of characters you see there.

Those will identify the type and model of the other device and I can try and find drivers for it.

Paul

Tutor
Mark14
Message 3 of 18 (22,097 Views)

I'll give it a shot and download that driver.  Hopefully it doesn't error out.

As far as the OTHER DEVICES, that is the main folder that MULITMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER is housed in.  I'm not at my pc now, but I don't think I can right click on it and try to update it.  I'll check it out when I get home.  I'll let you know if this works.

Thanks.

Mark

Tutor
Mark14
Message 4 of 18 (22,092 Views)

Hey,  I tried to install the driver you mentioned for the multimedia audio, but when it tried to install, the following message came up:

The software you are installing for this hardware:

SoundsMAX Integrated Digital Audio

has not passed the Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP.

Then it went on to say something to the effect that if I continue with the install it may impair or destabilize the correct operation of the system. Microsoft strongly recommends that you stop the install and contact the hardware vendor for software that has passed Windows logo testing.

Please let me know what to do next.

Thanks.
mark

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 18 (22,085 Views)

Hi, Mark:

That is the driver you need for your PC's audio.

Sometimes you get those warnings. I ignore them because if they are the driver I need, they are the driver I need.

You may also want to contact HP support at this number 1-800-334-5144, and see if you can still get a set of recovery disks for your PC.

You will need to provide the model # and serial #. Cost is $10.00

These disks will install the operating system drivers and programs that originally came with the PC

Paul

Tutor
Mark14
Message 6 of 18 (22,080 Views)

OK, Paul.  Thanks for the info.

Now, the recovery disks you mention, would that be with the most up to date drivers to date, or would I need to update the system again?

Mark

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 7 of 18 (22,079 Views)

Hi, Mark:

The recovery disk set was made when the PC was made which means that all the drivers will work but they will be the ones that originally came with the PC.

You will need to install XP SP3 because I'm sure that the operating system that the recovery disks install will be XP SP2.

Then you can run the windows update and download and install all of the security updates. Under the hardware section of windows update, there may be newer drivers to install.

Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Paul

Tutor
Mark14
Message 8 of 18 (22,072 Views)

Great.  Thanks for the help.  Really appreciate it.

Mark

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 9 of 18 (22,069 Views)

You're very welcome, Mark.

Tutor
Mark14
Message 10 of 18 (22,032 Views)

Say,  I went ahead and installed the multimedia piece like you suggested, but I still don't have sound.  I noticed that when i go into Device Manager, under SOUND, VIDEO and GAME CONTROLLERS, there is a sub-heading called, SoundMAX Integrated and Digital Audio.  On the left side of this subheading, there is a Red X going thru the speaker icon next to it.   When I right click on it and tell it to update the driver, it comes back and tell me, "The wizard could not find  a better match for my hardware than the software I currently have installed. "

Do you have any ideas as to why the Red X is going thru the icon as well as any other idea as to what I could try to get the sound back?

Mark

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation