Question

Top Student
HolyCows2000
Message 1 of 8 (1,057 Views)

Intel graphics card not recognised on steam - causing in game instability and video errors.

Product: HP Pavilion p6-2022uk

Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 2000

Error Message in Steam: Unknown Video Card

I've been having problems playing a number of games on my new computer - this can cause relatively inocuous and easily fixable problems like the wrong screen resolution being used. Sometimes it causes the screen to be incorrectly aligned causing black strips along the side(s) of the screen. Games also crash a lot. One particular problem I had playing my old game Half Life 2 was that the video had what I think is called the "grey fog" problem where all the graphics in the game is extremely bright - as though someone had turned on an extremely harsh high wattage light bulb which washes out all the graphics. I also get this error message in Steam which says they cannot recognise my graphics card, or don't have anything like it on their database. Do I need to download different drivers for the graphics card, or buy a new one? And if the latter then which ones are recommended for this system?

Daniel

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 8 (1,054 Views)

Re: Intel graphics card not recognised on steam - causing in game instability and video errors.

Hi,

My suggestion for gamers: buy a new video card or uy a better machine. You machine is simply NOT for games.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
HolyCows2000
Message 3 of 8 (1,051 Views)

Re: Intel graphics card not recognised on steam - causing in game instability and video errors.

Thanks, yeah I think that pretty much sums it up.
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 8 (1,043 Views)

Hi,

There are new updates for Steam.  I just updated mine a few days ago.

Read through post as it might give you some more thoughts about your PC and gaming.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
HolyCows2000
Message 5 of 8 (1,025 Views)

Thanks, that's helpful. I should point out my own curious finding though which is that despite the computer not being designed for games, it is only older ones that it struggles with. That leads me to believe it isn't really a performance issue. So for instance the computer cannot run the old Half Life 2 very well, but it can run both of its newer sequals perfectly. Strange.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 8 (1,021 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

If anything, the video processor in your PC may be weak for some modern PC games but OK for others.

The older game may need a patch or perhaps you need to update the DirectX 9 drivers.

I would agree that general PC performance is not the issue.

Try this Intel driver update utility and see if it picks you a later video driver.

Intel Driver Update Utility  Intel Driver Update Utility

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Top Student
HolyCows2000
Message 7 of 8 (1,016 Views)

I tried the Intel thing before and it said I should contact HP to see whether it was safe to download one of their generic drivers for the video card. Is it safe?

The patch idea is out and I tried directx 9 and it hasn't worked.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 8 of 8 (1,011 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Did you update Steam? Did you check the Steam forum for ideas?

If you have doubt about using the Intel driver update process then do the following before applying the update:

1. Create a set of the HP Recovery Disks. There are good to have in case the recovery partition is bad.
  2. Backup your PC and data to external media (you should be doing this on a regular basis anyway).
  3. Create a Windows restore point.

If the driver update process goes poorly then use #3 and the worse case would be #1.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation