Monitor Goes Off and On (792 Views)
Student
Kalina
Message 1 of 2 (792 Views)

Monitor Goes Off and On

My monitor has been going off, but the on/off button remains lit.  If I push the on/off button off and on, it will come back up, and then go back out.  My internet provider tech ran three different various virus scans and it found nothing.  When I kept pushing the button a dozen times or more, it came back up (this was last night).  It was up all day today, but went out again later this afternoon.  I switched the monitor, and so far, it's working, but thought I'd ask in case it goes out again or I won't be able to see to get on the web. 

I made sure that the vents were clear and that all plugs, etc., were secure.  Uninstalled all unnecessary programs.  (One tech in Australia on web thought it might be a virus.)

Also, there is a blinking light on my HP Pavilion Slimline s5310f tower under the card slot that looks like three cd's on top of each other.  It's blinking off and on.  Didn't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

Thank you!

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 2 (791 Views)

Re: Monitor Goes Off and On

[ Edited ]

If you switched the monitor and the other monitor works then you have a monitor issue.

The light that looks like 3 CDs is hard drive activity light.  It will blink on/off.

Try a monitor reset. Unplug the monitor and hold down the monitor's power button for 30-60 seconds.  Now plug teh monitor back in and see how it runs.

Are you using any particular programs that are video intensive when the monitor goes on and off?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation