Question

Honor Student
Littleturn
Message 1 of 3 (1,725 Views)

Monitor loses signal, computer freezes...

Recently, a problem popped up. When I had left my computer downloading a file for a few hours (I left the house), the monitor had lost the signal. I had to restart the computer. In the last few days, the problem has become more frequent as the monitor goes to sleep earlier each time I use the computer, even while using it. I have tried to use another monitor, and even tried the TV, but it doesn't help. I know that the computer freezes when the monitor goes to sleep, as the music starts looping (You know, the same half-second of a Justin Bieber commercial over and over :smileymad: ). Anyways... I have now initiated a system recovery since none of HP's solutions worked for me. It blows out the harddrive, so there shouldn't be any conflicting or corrupted software left to cause this. Then, when the new programs are installing (Before inserting any recovery-disks), at around 30% or 5 minutes in, no signal. I don't know what's causing this, or how to solve it. I just tried connecting with a VGA cable instead of the DVI or HDMI previously tested, no luck so far.

I am using the Pavilion m9670sc...

Thank you for reading, I would be very happy if anyone had a solution.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 3 (1,718 Views)

Re: Monitor loses signal, computer freezes...

HI,

Boot into the bios (F10 setup) at the HP blue screen and run some diagnostics.

Try this procedure:

Unplug the PC and open it up. Clean out all the dust. Carefully remove and replace all the cables going to the motherboard one at a time. Do the same for the memory dimms and the video and sound cards if you have any.  You might want to buy a can of compressed air to blow the dust out of the CPU heat sink.  Plug your PC back in and give it a go.

Try this bootable memory diagnostic CD. Download memtest86 iso file and burn it to disk using Imgburn.

When a monitor keeps losing the video signal it might be a bad video card. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
Littleturn
Message 3 of 3 (1,710 Views)

Re: Monitor loses signal, computer freezes...

The BIOS doesn't work, I've tried.

I opened the case and found a lot of dust (whoopsie) and a stuck fan. The fan in question was to cool the graphics-card, so I guess the problem's solved. I'm going away for the weekend but I'll do the cable-thing aswell if cleaning out the dust doesn't work. :smileyvery-happy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation