Question

Honor Student
ckgordon10
Message 1 of 6 (836 Views)
Accepted Solution

Multiple Monitor Set Up

I am trying to set up multiple monitors on my HP P6674y desktop.  It has ATI Radeon4200 Video card w/ both VGA and DVI outputs on the back, and I am of the undertanding it is capable of handling this. 

I have two AOC 2436vh monitors that I have tested individually and when hooked up directly through the VGA port on the desktop work perfectly.  However, when even trying to do them individually on the DVI port, they show no signal.

When trying to hook up together, I obviously I am not able to see the monitor show up as being recognized by the computer.

I was told somewhere that I needed to change the settings on the graphics adapter in order to have both ports activated, but I am not sure how to make this happen.

Can someone please help, as I would really like to get these displays running together as soon as I can at my workplace?

Thank you!

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 6 (833 Views)

Re: Multiple Monitor Set Up

CK, I suggest that you download and install the ATI Catalyst Control Center software (full package).  This software allows you to easily make changes to the video options.  It even allows you to set fan speed, if available, and overclock the card if possible.  It also allows you to choose the monitor setup you desire.

Please let us know if this solves your problem.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 6 (827 Views)

I downloaded this program, but I'm not quite sure what I'm doing.  It is only showing me the one primary AOC monitor plugged into the vga port.

I have the secondary monitor plugged into the dvi port on the pc via a dvi to vga cord.

How do I manage this through the program, as I cannot detect his monitor?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 6 (793 Views)

Try this article.  There are different types of DVI<-> VGA adapter and this might be the cause if it's not the right adapter type.  This is one reason why I don't recommend using adapters.

If you are using a discrete video card then the motherboard video ports are disable by the bios when a PCI-E x16 video card is detected.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Provost
old_geekster
Message 5 of 6 (788 Views)

[ Edited ]

CK, I agree fully with Dave when it comes to using adapters.  You would be further ahead to buy a mid-level dedicated video card with two DVI ports.  Not only would it make using two monitors easier, but it would increase system performance, as well.  Upgrading to a dedicated video card will require a power supply unit (PSU) upgrade, since the existing PSU is only 250W.  This is a bit more complicated than simply installing a video card, but definitely a DIY project.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 6 of 6 (767 Views)

Thankfully I didn't need to get a new video card...  It must have been the adapter I was using.  I got a dvi to hdmi adapter and it worked perfectly.  Thanks for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation