Question

Student
Brian2012
Message 1 of 20 (3,459 Views)

My HP x2301 monitor keeps losing DVI and HDMI signals

I have a HP x2301 LED monitor and it keeps losing the DVI and HDMI signals but always can connect with VGA since May 2012.   It is a random issue.  It will work fine for days to weeks and then it will not work for days or weeks and so on.  I have had the video card replaced and the issue still continues.  When the monitor can not detect the DVI and HDMI signals I can connect to a different monitor and it works fine and then re connect to the HP x2301 and it still does not work.  I have suggested HP replace the monitor but I have been told by HP it is not the monitor but the mother board so they will not replace the monitor.  I am really hesitant on replacing the motherboard since the video card has been replaced and the issue comes back. I would think this points to the monitor being bad but HP is saying it is not.  Has anyone else had this issue or are there any suggestions?

Associate Professor
vnyga
Message 2 of 20 (3,440 Views)

Re: My HP x2301 monitor keeps losing DVI and HDMI signals

You can try to disable auto input, maybe this works.
Else if you change the monitor to another pc and is doesn't work either, then HP has to replace it (if it's still under warranty)
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Top Student
saintmaur
Message 3 of 20 (3,432 Views)

I have had a very similar issue (I think). I have  a new HP Z2249m monitor. I can use any single connection successfully: VGA or HDMI. But if they are both connected, only VGA will work. Switching to HDMI will give me a 'frozen screen" with the screensaver showing. Very frustrating. If I set HDMI as the default with both connections on, when I boot up, the screen is frozen as noted above. Very frustrating.  It's a brand new, up to date CPU as well (not HP).

Associate Professor
vnyga
Message 4 of 20 (3,386 Views)

What is connected to VGA, what to HDMI?
What hardware?
Any adapters?
Top Student
saintmaur
Message 5 of 20 (3,382 Views)

There is a single monitor and a single computer. I have a VGA cable and an HDMI cable both attached from the computer to the monitor. I thought I could change from one input to the other. Not possible?

Associate Professor
vnyga
Message 6 of 20 (3,377 Views)

>I thought I could change from one input to the other
What would be your benefit doing this?
But ok, maybe it's possible to find the problem soon:
What graphics device do you have?
Is it dual-monitoring capable?
Which screensaver appears? Pc? or monitor?
Switching to hdmi and back to vga - is it working again?
Have you tried to use a second pc for the second input port?
Is it working then?
Top Student
saintmaur
Message 7 of 20 (3,372 Views)

The advantage to switching from HDMI to AVG and back is that text appears much more clearly (in Word for example) in AVG than in HDMI, it seems to me. But I think it is not worth going through all the procedures you are suggesting to identify the problem. So thank you for paying attention to my issue. I am grateful.

best,

saintmaur

Honor Student
CanadianSnow
Message 8 of 20 (3,271 Views)

Hey there,

I have the same issue. I got this screen on boxing day and I love it. Just now, my computer went to load the screen and it went blank. I could still hear everything but had to power my machine down blind :smileysad:  My issue is also with the DVI and VGA also seems fine (for now). I have secondary older equipment that i've tested, it all works fine. It's 100% this HP x2301 monitor, I feel bad for the guys who've replaced expenive computer components due to HP's lack of willingness to identify and admit to a known issue with their products. I'm very disapointed and since nobody has seemed to find a solution to this, while it breaks my heart, I think I will be returning this screen and on the hunt for a replacement. Thanks for the thread.

- CS

Student
bigTinny
Message 9 of 20 (3,225 Views)

Hello,

I also have the same issue with this monitor, HP x2301.  The HDMI connector is not working all the sudden, and the only way I can see anything on the screen is to use a VGA cable (not sure about DVI).  I am calling to HP Support to troubleshoot and hopefully have it replaced.  Other steps I have taken:

- replaced video card and did not resolve the issue

- replaced the HDMI cable and did not resolve the issue

- connected to a Samsung monitor using HDMI and this works

- connected to HPx2301 using VGA cable and this works

Let see what HP can do on this.

bigTinny

Teacher
sherip99
Message 10 of 20 (3,212 Views)

I have the 2711x, and my pc's has VGA and DVI digital video outputs. When I use the DVI connection, once in awhile the monitor fails to detect the signal. But I found a solution that hasn't failed me. Without disconnecting anything else, I briefly remove the power cable from the rear of the monitor. When reconnected, voila! the picture is restored. Maybe a similar approach will work for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation