Question

Honor Student
WilliamT13555B
Message 1 of 4 (142 Views)

Pavillion 23bw power off

I have a relatively new (bought 6 months ago) Pavillion 23bw monitor.  It may have been doing the following from the beginning:

At the end of the day, I shut down my computer (HP Envy).  After the computer is completely off, I turn the monitor off with its power switch.  This may be before or after it has gone to sleep.  Doesn't matter.

In any event, the power light goes off (from light to dark, or from orange to dark).

Hours later, I find that the monitor has turned itself back on, and is now in sleep mode (orange).  If I power it off again, I think it will stay off.

Everything else works fine.

I also have had the power switch lockout from time to time, but I have ignored this and it goes away by itself.

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 2 of 4 (123 Views)

Re: Pavillion 23bw power off

Hello WilliamT13555B,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are having issues with your monitor not shutting off correctly and you are getting the Power Switch Lockout message. The Power Switch Lockout may be the clue in all of this. The message is related to the monitor's ability to lock out the Power Button. You can enable and disable this by holding the Power Button down for 10 seconds or so. You may have the Power Button currently disabled meaning when you think you are turning the Monitor off you are not actually doing anything has the button has been disabled. Try holding the Power Button down for 10 seconds or so till you see the message and see if the issue goes away.

Please re-post if you require additional support. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Honor Student
WilliamT13555B
Message 3 of 4 (112 Views)

Thank you.  Unfortunately, it did not help.  Here is what I tried:

End of evening (11pm):  closed down all apps.

Pressed and held the monitor power switch about 10-12 seconds until power switch lockout message appeared.  Now power switch was indeed locked out.

Pressed and held the power switch again for 10-12 seconds.  Power switch was now enabled.

Shut down PC.

Waited until PC shutdown was complete, and until monitor went to sleep mode (switch light went from white to amber).

Pressed power switch and it went dark.

At 2am, I checked the monitor and the light was still dark.

At 7am, the switch was  back to amber (the monitor had turned itself back on and was sleeping).

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 4 of 4 (107 Views)

Hello again WilliamT13555B,

Thank you for providing feedback on the solution I proposed to you. Unfortunately, if it did not work it would appear to be a physical issue and I think it would be best if you contacted HP technical support for repair options.

US support link to contact options for HP products purchased in the US.
Outside of US support link to contact options for HP products purchased outside the US.

I would like to thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation