Second DVI Port not working? (3145 Views)
Student
Fassle
Message 1 of 14 (3,145 Views)

Second DVI Port not working?

Hi,

I just purchased a HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1224 (windows 7 home premium) and an having problems hooking up 2 monitors via the built-in DVI outputs.

I have a monitor plugged into each of the DVI ports.  The computer doesn't seem to detect any monitor plugged into the lower DVI port.  I've tried switching a number of times; if a monitor is plugged into the top port, it works fine; if it's plugged into the bottom port, the computer doesn't detect it.  I've tried going to the "screen resolution" menu to manually detect the second monitor, but hitting the "detect" button doesn't find the second monitor.

Is there some sort of trick to get dual-monitors working with this computer?

Thanks

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 14 (3,137 Views)

Re: Second DVI Port not working?

Hi,

Two ports are not the same, 1 is DVD-D and 1 is DVD-I. You have to use the right cable cables connectors for them.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 3 of 14 (3,129 Views)

[ Edited ]

To expand upon what banhien said...

You also have to have monitors that are compatible with the outputs on your computer. In the case of your computer, you can use two monitors that have DVI-D inputs or one monitor that has DVI-D and another monitor that has VGA (using a DVI-I -to- VGA adapter)

Please provide the make and model of your monitors so we can assist you better.

3 - DVI-D (digital signal output only)

4 - DVI-I (both analog and digital signal outputs)

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Student
anjpearl
Message 4 of 14 (2,978 Views)

I am having the same issue with the HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1224.  I have one digital monitor (ViewSonic) which is attached through a DVI-D cable to the DVI-D port and one vga monitor (Dell) connected to the DVI-I port using the VGA to DVI-I adapter provided by HP.  The monitor connected to the DVI-D isn't detected by the computer.

When the computer first turns on, the both monitors will come on with the windows logo, but when I get to the sign-in page, the second monitor goes out.  The computer does not even recognize the monitor when I look on the display properties screen.

Honor Student
Sharon43
Message 5 of 14 (1,801 Views)

I'm having the same problem with my hp pavillion p6-2310. Both monitors work into the vga port. Neither works into the DVI-D port. I've tried every way I could think of to hook them up but no matter what i try, neither monitor works through the DVI-D port. 

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 6 of 14 (1,787 Views)

Sharon43,

Please provide the brand and complete model numbers for the monitors you are trying to connect to your computer. Also indicate the exact methods you are using to connect the monitors.

As your HP Pavilion p6-2310 Desktop Computer has one DVI-D (digital only) output and one VGA (analog only) output, one monitor must support VGA input and the other monitor must support DVI-D input.

(#1) - DVI-D (digital) output          (#2) - VGA (analog) output

The computer and monitors will need to be connected as follows;

Computer > DVI-D cable > Monitor #1

Computer >  VGA cable  > Monitor #2

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
Sharon43
Message 7 of 14 (1,783 Views)

Thanks Frank.

I am plugging the #1 DVI-D (white port) cable from the tower to my Dell 1800FP monitor. (This monitor actually has both vga (blue) and dvi-d inputs.)

I am plugging the #2 VGA (blue port) cable to my Acer AL 1916W monitor. This one only supports vga.

I've tried the following so far:

1) Acer connected to the Dell monitor via VGA wire, then the Dell monitor to the tower via DVI-D wire .

2) Dell connected to the tower via VGA wire, then Acer connected to the tower via VGA wire to DVI-D converter.

3) Acer connected to the tower via VGA wire, then Dell connected to the tower via VGA wire to DVI-D converter.

4) Acer connected to the tower via VGA wire, then Dell connected to the tower via DVI-D wire.

With these 4 different ways, only the monitor that is connected via the VGA port will work.

Also, on my previous dell tower, I had these same 2 monitors set up dual display without any issues.

Honor Student
Sharon43
Message 8 of 14 (1,766 Views)

PS... I will definatly leave kudos etc if you can help me solve this! :smileyvery-happy:

Honor Student
TucsonCowboy
Message 9 of 14 (1,502 Views)

I too have a problem getting a second monitor to work. I have an HP Pavilion p6350z with one VGA port and one DVI-D port. I have two monitors; both with only VGA connectors, so I purchased an active DVI-D to VGA Adapter Converter. When I hook up the two monitors, only the one with the direct VGA to VGA connection works. I can switch around the monitors and whichever monitor is hooked to the VGA port is the only one that will work. With both monitors powered up, I will see the Windows Startup screen when I reboot the PC, but once Windows 7 has stabilized, the monitor connected to the DVI-D port goes to sleep. Now here's an interesting twist! When I hook up a new TV to the DVI-D port, it works perfectly as a second monitor. The TV has two HDMI ports; one of which doubles as a PC input. Therefore I'm using a plain adapter cable that connects from the DVI-D socket on the PC to the HDMI socket of the TV. When I go into DISPLAY in the CONTROL PANEL, it clearly identifies the two monitors and allows me to select either one as the main monitor. This confirms to me that the DVI-D port on the PC does indeed send out a signal. Why is it then that when I connect a monitor via the active DVI-D to VGA converter to the DVI-D socket on the PC, that my PC does not detect its existence? I'm thinking that my only resort is to buy a new monitor that has an HDMI input, but I'd rather avoid that extra expense if possible. Thanks.

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 10 of 14 (1,487 Views)

TucsonCowboy

I am linking you a document called “Using Two or More Monitors with One Computer in Windows 7” below. If you could go through it and check to ensure that you have correctly set it up. Any deviations please re-post so we can work out a solution for you.

Using Two or More Monitors with One Computer in Windows 7

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01950657

Thanks

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the left to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

"Customer service is not a department, it’s everyone’s job." - Anonymous
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation