Question

Tutor
LouagieF
Message 1 of 7 (4,317 Views)
Accepted Solution

Unable to select resolution 2560x1440 with ATI Radeon HD 6570

product: HP Pavilion p7-1030be

I installed the last drivers of AMD and the last driver of the Dell Monitor.

This HP desktop includes a ATI Radeon HD 6570 with 2GB graphics card. AMD and HP specifications list a maximum resolution of 2560x1600.

I connected a Dell U2711 monitor, using a Dual-Link DVI cable. Native resolution of the monitor is 2560x1440.Monitor seems to be recognized by Windows (in device manager).

I cannot select the correct resolution in windows settings. Highest resolution mentioned is 1920x1080.

When I list modes in advanced settings, 2560x1440 is not available either (I unchecked the "show only modes supported by monitor" thing).

What's wrong?

Thanks for any advice.

Filip.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 7 (4,311 Views)

Re: Unable to select resolution 2560x1440 with ATI Radeon HD 6570

Hi,

A CD should come with that Dell monitor. Please use that CD to install the monitor driver, this should work.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
LouagieF
Message 3 of 7 (4,305 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion.

I used the CD to install the monitor driver when I connected it to the PC.

The installation procedure doesn't do more than copying the correct .inf file. I also checked for the latest version of the Dell support site.

Windows shows the monitor info correctly. However, Catalyst Control Center doesn't show the correct native resolution in the panel properties...

Regards,

Filip.

Tutor
LouagieF
Message 4 of 7 (4,246 Views)

After weeks of obsessive solution finding and turning windows 7 upside down...

I replaced the graphics card: removed the ATI Radeon HD 6570 and installed an PNY NVIDIA GT 430.
Tadaaa....problem solved: full native resolution!

Conclusion: ATI Radeon HD doesn't support high resolution (2560x1440) under windows 7, only goes up to 1920x1080, despite their promising specifications.

Be aware!

Regards,

Filip.

Master's Graduate
konk6i3
Message 5 of 7 (4,233 Views)

I saw the same basic problem, different monitor but ATI graphics, updated driver to latest from AMD/ATI and all was fine.

Cheers,

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Tutor
LouagieF
Message 6 of 7 (4,218 Views)

Dear Konk,

Updating the driver was the first thing I did, but didn't help. I removed all drivers, reinstalled about 20 times, I guess. Checked settings with Powerstrip, etc...

I involved HP support from the beginning in order to solve my problem. They are very responsive; really positive about that.

But converging to a solution is much too slow. That's because of their kind of three level support: you get a more experencied guy helping you on the phone depending on the complexity of your problem. the third and highest level seems to be a kind of "diagnostic team". But the customer cannot directly to this team and this makes solution finding very slow. Or is it the purpose that customers, in the end, live with the problem or find their own solution?

Regards,

Filip.

Tutor
LouagieF
Message 7 of 7 (4,166 Views)

Dear all,

HP support contacted me (their initiative!) and confirmed there is a problem with the ATI RADEON-type of graphics card, such that it does not support the high resolution of the DELL U2711.

They propose to send me an NVIDIA card as replacement. That should work according to them, which I already found out myself :-)

Kudos to HP for really engaging in solving the problem.

Regards,

Filip.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation