Question

Tutor
keepplugging
Message 1 of 3 (217 Views)

Video displays small squares

p7-1370t CTO Desktop

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Monitor is SyncMaster 2443BW/2443BWX,SyncMaster Magic CX2443BW/CX2443BWX(Digital)

On-board graphics (no graphics card)

Intermittent display of small multi-colored squares
Happens every few hours when manually scrolling
Happens in Firefox and Internet Explorer

It might happen in other applications, but I do most of my scrolling in the browsers.

HP Support went through the rigmarole of reinstalling the driver.  No improvement.

I ran the video test in the Support Assistant a few times, but it cycles only once, and is not likely to see the problem.

I need a diag that runs for hours.

Is there a diagnostic program to stress-test the video hardware?

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 2 of 3 (196 Views)

Re: Video displays small squares

Hello keepplugging,

I understand you periodically get multi- colored squares on the screen is that correct?  I will try and provide you the necessary information you’re looking for.

There should be a program that came installed on the computer called vision diagnostic. Now with that program you have to use a dvd to burn the program to the disk and then insert the disk in the computer and shut it down and restart and the computer should load from the disk. What’s nice about this is the disk is being ran outside of the operating system giving the test more accurate results.

If you click on this link it will take you an HP support page that should tell you all you need to know about the vision diagnostic process. When you’re on the page click on the link that says “HP Vision Diagnostics” and it will place you in the right section.

If I have been helpful or if you’d like to say thanks you can click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it.

Please respond at your earliest convenience with any other questions.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Tutor
keepplugging
Message 3 of 3 (146 Views)

Re: Video displays small squares

Thanks!

I downloaded and ran the diagnostic, but I've run it through only one pass.

It found no problem.  But I'll try again.

Incidentally, when it finished, the mouse was inactive, i.e. the red light on the mouse's bottom was off.

(The "red light on the mouse's bottom..."  We don't see many of those running around...)

And the keyboard was incommunicado.

Since my original post, I've installed a second monitor, and the squares appear on both monitors when I set the monitors to duplicate.  It happens seldom, and I've seen it only when I'm scrolling in Firefox, or Internet Explorer.

With any luck, it will get worse.

Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation