Question

Tutor
hnweedman
Message 1 of 9 (6,374 Views)
Accepted Solution

W2207 "Monitor Going to Sleep" Message

I am unable to start one of our HP computers. An occasional message appears, "Monitor going to sleep" with an intermittent beeping sound. Monitor is a HP W2207. Have tried to reboot the machine without success. Any tips/thoughts?
Professor
Mister_Do
Message 2 of 9 (6,348 Views)

Re: W2207 "Monitor Going to Sleep" Message

Hi hnweedman,

This issue sounds more like a problem with the PC than the monitor. The monitor is going to sleep likely because it isn't receiving a video signal. See if the steps in this HP Support document help: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00061509&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3363837

Let us know how it goes.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Tutor
hnweedman
Message 3 of 9 (6,340 Views)

I think you are absolutely correct. After going through steps outlined in the FAQ article, I found that the monitor does work but what actually happens is the machine freezes up after a short period of time. I thought it might be a defective video card (part of the motherboard on this machine) but wonder if it is not the motherboard itself or the CPU. I have no idea how to further isolate or analyze the problem.

Nick Weedman

Tutor
hnweedman
Message 4 of 9 (6,352 Views)

It appears the problem was either a bad memory chip or something associated with one. I removed a 512 chip, restarted the machine and after it went through a self analysis, it started OK. It seems to be running normally.

Nick Weedman

Honor Student
cynger
Message 5 of 9 (3,219 Views)

My monitor keeps going into a sleep mode therefore I am unable to use my computer as I cannot get to my desktop---what to do?

Associate Professor
vnyga
Message 6 of 9 (3,209 Views)

Boot in safe mode and check the display settings
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Honor Student
cynger
Message 7 of 9 (3,206 Views)

How do I do this?---boot and check display was your recommendation but I cannot get anything on my monitor so I cannot see anything

Associate Professor
vnyga
Message 8 of 9 (3,195 Views)

@cynger:
Maybe it would have been better to open your own thread, but ok:
What's your hardware? pc model? monitor model? os?
How are they connected?
Do you see anything at the monitor? At boot-up?
Does the monitor work at another pc?
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Honor Student
cynger
Message 9 of 9 (3,180 Views)

Vista operating system monitor says VERY QUICKLY no signal coming from the computer---computer guy out yesterday and he hooked up to his laptop and my monitor works fine---he said hard to know if video card or mother board or so we went to Costco and bought a brand new PC---ours was just over 5 years old---now have Windows 7 and can update to Windows 8 the end of this month for $15---would maybe like to fix this one and sell it:smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation