What is the best cable for Monitor with DVI-D and VGA Input connectors? (7924 Views)
Top Student
oscarb6
Message 1 of 7 (7,924 Views)
Accepted Solution

What is the best cable for Monitor with DVI-D and VGA Input connectors?

I am buying HP P6300z desktop with ATI Radeon HD 4350 (DVI, HDMI, adapter) Graphics card, and W1858 monitor with VGA; DVI-D input connector. A VGA cable is provided with the monitor. Will the VGA cable give me the best viewing experience or should I purchase a different cable?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 7 (7,918 Views)

Re: What is the best cable for Monitor with DVI-D and VGA Input connectors?

Purchase a DVI-D cable.  DVI stands for Digital Visual Interface. It will provide higher quality images on your display than VGA.

VGA is analog.

HDMI would have been even better (High Definition Multimedia Interface)

regards,
erico

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon in the lower left corner of a post ***

****Please click on the Accept As Solution button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
ShamanOne
Message 3 of 7 (7,471 Views)

So, where do I buy a "DVI-D cable"?? 

Unfortunately, I bought the HP w1907 Widescreen LCD Monitor which appears to have a female DVI-D connector, but the monitor was not shipped with any DVI cable, a fact which was not disclosed outside the box in which it was sold.  The text on the box just says that the monitor has both DVI-D and VGA inputs.  There is a cable which connects a VGA output on the computer to the VGA input for the monitor.  However, HP apparently sells products with DVI-D, not DVI-I, inputs or outputs, then does not even sell cables for them in its own store, let alone supply them with the product.  And you cannot contact any HP personnel about the matter either!

When I use the search feature on retail sites such as Circuit City or Best Buy either there are no results or there are a huge number of adapters, cables, extensions and what-have-you among which I have yet to find either (1) a DVI-D cable with male connectors on each end, which should connect to a DVI-I female connector on one end, or (2) a cable with a DVI-I Male connector on one end and a DVI-D Male connector on the other end -- which is a combination that probably does not exist.

Master's Graduate
konk6i3
Message 4 of 7 (7,416 Views)

A DVI-D cable is a standard DVI video cable you should be able to find at any store. I believe that a DVI-D is far more common than a DVI-I cable.

A monitor would rarely have a DVI-I input port because the VGA port will handle the "I" or Analog portion. So the DVI input on the monitor is only expecting Digital.

A PC might well have a DVI-I output because there is either no VGA output or to give the user the ability to connect two VGA monitors to the VGA and DVI-I ports of the graphics card.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00377019&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3884701 gives more information.

The probable reason no DVI cable was shipped is that it will either add more cost or the retailers did not want it.

Cheers,

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Student
miguel54
Message 5 of 7 (6,861 Views)

I am seriously up a creek. I bought my HP desktop 4-5 months ago with DVI-D and VGA connectors in the back.  I want to add a second monitor, but  NO ONE and I mean NO ONE (Best Buy, Office Depot, Office Max, numerous computer repair shops) sells DVI-D to VGA cables, only DVI-I cables are sold! They do sell DVI-D to DVI-D, male-to-male cords which are useless on the monitor I want to hook up.

Since it has been only 4 months, it seems that HP SHOULD cover this issue under warranty, either by sending me a new video card with the DVI-I, or an appropriate cable.

I am greatly perturbed by this situation!  Any thoughts from anyone? Does HP carry these cables?

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 7 (6,859 Views)

Hi,

You can purchase a DVI-I to VGA adapter for a few dollars.. That is why hybrid cables you describe re not produced and sold. 

best regards,

erico

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon in the lower left corner of a post ***

****Please click on the Accept As Solution button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
esunshineann
Message 7 of 7 (3,875 Views)

I have the same problem.  I am trying to hook up dual monitors.  The monitor has vga so I bought a dvi adapter, and that didn't work.  Now I am searching the internet high and low to find a DVI-D to VGA cable and cannot find one any where!  The last post said you can buy them for a couple bucks, but where?  I thought for sure the adapter would work, but when added to the VGA cable the monitor displayed the error message cable not connected.  My dual monitors work great on my DELL docking station I use for work.  Why is it so hard to get the HP to work with them?

Help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation